Classic boat food for a day on the water

freelancer

Petty Officer 1st Class
I'm getting tired wet bread on my hoagies :mad:

Looking for some suggestions for this weekend, I plan on being away from the dock most of the day. Help.

rbh

Fleet Admiral
Re: Classic boat food for a day on the water

These are some of the foods we take if we wont be cooking
seven layer dip plus a couple more layers, cold cuts, cold chicken, crackers cheese and sausage, greek salad, spinach salad ceaser salad.
If we are cooken, anything goes on the old three burner coleman or portable bbq:)
rob

krakatoa

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Try Churrasco, Ribs, for luch, during the day Tostitos with dip.... :D and for the throat 1 case of Coors Light, Heineken or Budweiser, what about that???

Woodnaut

Chief Petty Officer

Beef jerky. Oranges and apples. Everything goes into double ziploc bags and into the ice chest.

scipper77

Commander

I like Beef jerky. Not a meal but really convenient while fishing.

freelancer

Petty Officer 1st Class

Try Churrasco, Ribs, for luch, during the day Tostitos with dip.... :D and for the throat 1 case of Coors Light, Heineken or Budweiser, what about that???

A case sounds like a little much for me but to each his own. So far the rest of the menu reminds me of going fishing with my dad when I was a kid; lots of finger food and lunch meat...Dad's big thing was the Vienna Sausage.

Attachments

• Vienna Sausage.jpg
    Vienna Sausage.jpg
    3.2 KB · Views: 0

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Have the sandwich made dry. Have the mayo, mustard, vinegar, oil etc on the side. If it is really going to be a while before you eat, have the lettuce and tomato on the side as well.

HappierWet

Master Chief Petty Officer

I'll add this to the list......SHRIMP and macaroni salad:)

cadrien

Cadet

I fill a large coffee thermos with Nathan's hot dogs and then top it with water just off boil. Close it up and when it is time to eat, you have hot hot dogs ready! Being pre cooked and already in hot water, it does not mater if the thermos sits out all day. Get some condiment packages and buns and you are good to go, plus it is CHEAP.

allpoints360

Petty Officer 1st Class

"Warm beer and bread, they said could raise the dead."

Preparation is the key. In fact, an article in Boating magazine a couple months back talked about using your engine manifold to cook food in aluminum foil while you spend the day boating. Sounds good. I've not tried it.

BF

Lieutenant

ditto the idea above.. don't bring pre-made sandwiches... just bring the makings in a cooler and make 'em as you want 'em. No more soggy lunches. apples and granola bars travel well (= can take a beating) for non-cooler snacks.

redeye1962

Petty Officer 1st Class

I like to catch my meals on the lake...................:D yeah right. I agree bring the makings and make them when ready. We have a dry box and a cooler we use to separate everything. leftovers are always good but my kids insist on having their 3:00 hot tea on the boat..........it is so cute.

redone4x4

Lieutenant Commander

chips and homemade salsa. sooo refreshing, and worth the hassle. and carrot chips with ranch dip, great on a hot day. otherwise, its all about the bbq!!! (theres a thread in dockside chat about bbq boat food)

August09beholdpics035.jpg

freelancer

Petty Officer 1st Class

chips and homemade salsa. sooo refreshing, and worth the hassle. and carrot chips with ranch dip, great on a hot day. otherwise, its all about the bbq!!! (theres a thread in dockside chat about bbq boat food)

August09beholdpics035.jpg
Looks very appetizing but with my luck I'd catch a tug's wake and their go?s my lunch right off the stern :mad: I might have to save the BBQ for the dock:redface:

jeffnick

Senior Chief Petty Officer

When I go out alone, the only food that comes along is package to mouth - no cooking, no plates, nothing to clean up.
These are good right out of the package
http://www.hormelfoods.com/brands/hormel/HormelCompleats.aspx

I only cook when my wife is along...his and hers burgers on the Foreman grill that only takes one paper towel to clean up.
IMG_2529.jpg

redone4x4

Lieutenant Commander

When I go out alone, the only food that comes along is package to mouth - no cooking, no plates, nothing to clean up.
These are good right out of the package
http://www.hormelfoods.com/brands/hormel/HormelCompleats.aspx

I only cook when my wife is along...his and hers burgers on the Foreman grill that only takes one paper towel to clean up.
IMG_2529.jpg

Im jealous, i want one of those generators sooo bad!

fishrdan

Admiral

an article in Boating magazine a couple months back talked about using your engine manifold to cook food in aluminum foil while you spend the day boating.

I haven't done the aluminum foil, but keep a couple pop-top cans of chili/ravioli/soup on the boat just in case.

After trolling for a few hours I went to run back to the marina, but the engine was bogging and boat wouldn't plane. OH GREAT! I opened the engine hatch and found a can of chili sitting by the carb's throttle linkage, forgot I had put it there earlier :rolleyes: Lunch Time! :D

fishrdan

Admiral

Reason #57 why an I/O is better than an OB...

Can't cook on an OB :D