What went wrong?

2mate

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hi guys,

Today i changed the gear oil on my evinrude 2hp (serial: e2rcrs) and drained it all and topped it up again tightened the screw and lovely it was done. As she hadnt been tunned for years i needed to re do it so did that then thought i should check the oil in the gear just to check its alright..But the oil had turned from a oily colour to a creamy color i belive this means water has got it? Help:confused:

Rick.

Captain
Re: What went wrong?

Sure sounds like it. Let me get this straight. You refilled it, didn't use it and it went milky just sitting without being in the water? Did you replace the vent drain gaskets. They are the number one path of water to the gear case and an easy fix. Personally I would not pull the gear case apart until I was absolutely certain I have to. Run the milky oil for a trip and then replace it again and see if that fixes it. You may of just had residual water in the gear case. Best of luck. Rick.

gradytom

Seaman Apprentice

When I replace my lower unit oil I always use new plastic crush washers
on both the drain and top screws.
Sounds too simple to be the source of milky oil but ya never know.
gt

jay mendoza

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Same happened to me, it was the washers. Next time it was milky because I did not flush the emulsified oil out completely. Two-stroke pre-mix works great for flushing out the milky oil, then let it sit in the sunshine to drive off any volitiles and re-fill. Although my gear case passed the pressure and vacuum tests, eventually(after 7 years) it began to take on water and I had to replace all seals. Rubber seems to last about 25 years then it fades. Good luck!

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

Possible that your upper gearcase seal or prop seal is leaking too.

2mate

Petty Officer 1st Class

I ran her up after the change in a dustbin :p and all was fine so just checked the oil after and it was milky is this ok to leave in or change ?

jay mendoza

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Best to find the leak, flush out the old milky oil, and re-fill. It could be just those nylon washers on the fill and drain plug washers (change them every time) as it was not milky before you changed the oil initially. Better safe than sorry!