What's it worth? Alpha one stern drive unit

natemoore

Master Chief Petty Officer
Since an SEI 106 is about $1200, and I've got a few hundred dollars in parts to buy for my stern drive unit, I'm considering just buying the SEI if I can get enough money for my unit. I've searched craigslist and ebay, but can't find anything but reman units.

My unit runs fine. No water in the oil. Oil looks clean. It may need two u-joints, a short shaft, and a seal in the drive unit because of a bellows leak.

I did just sell a very large kitchen, so I'm currently feeling not broke.:)

wca_tim

Lieutenant Commander
Re: What's it worth? Alpha one stern drive unit

if you don't have the merc tools and background, it's most likely going to be cheaper by a good bit to just buy the sei... Note that they will sell you just an upper or lower half if that's all you need.

natemoore

if you don't have the merc tools and background, it's most likely going to be cheaper by a good bit to just buy the sei... Note that they will sell you just an upper or lower half if that's all you need.

I only have to replace the seal in the upper drive housing and the u-joints possibly. The seal isn't leaking water in, but it may be letting gear lube out. When I removed the sterndrive from the bell housing, I had this peach-colored meringue in the u-joint bellows, but no water in the drive itself.

I haven't inspected the u-joints yet, but those are easy to replace.

I've got a boat mechanic acquaintance who has the shimming tools I'll need and experience if I need some help, so I'm only going to be a couple hundred dollars away from having a usable unit.

BUT, depending on what my unit is worth, I may go ahead and get the SEI just to get it all over with now.

So, does anyone know what these things will fetch if they're serviceable?

Big Boat Bay Buster

Petty Officer 2nd Class

You are going to replace a perfectly good running outdrive just because you got a hole in the bellows and you might have to replace some cheap parts. You can get the universals and seal for around $50 if you shop around. Don't worry about the shims, if you put them back exctly how they came out, you are good to go. I have a machine shop by me that works on boat engines too, they would probably charge about 1 hour worth of labor to do the job.
my 2 cents
Chris

erikgreen

Captain

To answer your actual question, around here a working used sterndrive needing no repairs goes for about $300-$500 depending on condition...bravos and other brands than mercruiser go for more.

You could probably sell the lower that needs no repairs for $300 or a bit less. If you repair the upper completely to the point where it passes a pressure test you could sell it for around the same or a bit less.

In non working shape you could sell it for parts, and that's about it. You might get $100 for the top half then.

Unless you want a new drive for your own reasons, I'd recommend either repairing your top half with your friend's help or buying a new top half from SEI.

Erik

natemoore

To answer your actual question, around here a working used sterndrive needing no repairs goes for about $300-$500 depending on condition...bravos and other brands than mercruiser go for more.

You could probably sell the lower that needs no repairs for $300 or a bit less. If you repair the upper completely to the point where it passes a pressure test you could sell it for around the same or a bit less.

In non working shape you could sell it for parts, and that's about it. You might get $100 for the top half then.

Unless you want a new drive for your own reasons, I'd recommend either repairing your top half with your friend's help or buying a new top half from SEI.

Erik

Thanks for the info. If it was worth $600 or $700, I'd be close the price of the SEI by the time I factored in parts and what my weekends are worth to me. However, it looks like it makes more sense to keep mine.

truckermatt

Petty Officer 1st Class

i sold my alpha one drive for $250, but it was completely dissassembled. and need a new prop shaft($450), vertical drive shaft ($500), and $400 worth of bearings according to the dealer and a new skeg put on ($150).... so i just got the Entire SEI unit for $1300 shipped, and i love it.... and everything was new,

natemoore

i sold my alpha one drive for $250, but it was completely dissassembled. and need a new prop shaft($450), vertical drive shaft ($500), and $400 worth of bearings according to the dealer and a new skeg put on ($150).... so i just got the Entire SEI unit for $1300 shipped, and i love it.... and everything was new,

I pulled out the drive shaft today. Bearings are perfect. Just needs a new seal and a speedi-sleeve on the short yoke. Think I'll keep it.

SEI is a great alternative. My neighbor's Alpha One (probably) broke a yoke shaft or something. We haven't pull it yet, but it looks ugly.