1971 merc40 4 hp outboard need help!!!

mtlacount

Recruit
I just replaced the impeller and tested it by hooking a drill to the driveshaft and manualy turning the impeller while submersed in a tub of water. have good water coming out the top of the impeller housing. I also hooked a garden hose to the rubber hose that goes to the "pee hole" and I get water coming out the center of the prop but very little out the water supply tube when the lower unit is removed. my problem is I cant figure out how to get to the top end of the water supply tube where it goes into the bottom of the motor. I know there has to be something blocking the water flow there.
any help would be great!!!

Laddies

Banned
Re: 1971 merc40 4 hp outboard need help!!!

Well, I will try to answer this thread for the 3rd time for some reason it will not show the answer. You can use a flashlight to look up the mid section to see the hole for the tube but with the blockage you describe you need to remove the power head to check the plastic grommit on the top of the water tube to see if it's melted and causing the problem, also if you are missinf impeller pieces you need to remove the exhaust plates to check for junk if there is none there you should remove the water jacket cover to check for junk in the passages between the exhaust water jacket and the cyl. water jacket.
USE CARE when removing the bolts in the coves they will break quite easily.
Hope this works this time.