Horsepower ratings?

skintner

Seaman
What is the primary concern when a boat is rated for maximum horsepower? Hull stability? Transom strength? Motor weight?

I have a 14' Capri rated for 50 hp. I would like to move up from the 50 hp Force that came with the boat to an Evinrude 60hp. I'd be happy to reinforce the transom with an aluminum plate.

Thoughts and comments?

Thanks,
Steve

NYBo

Admiral
Re: Horsepower ratings?

Compared to other brands of boats of similar sizes and types, Bayliners seem to have very low HP ratings. For example, the folks who own the lake house where we vacationed last week had a 17' Cobia bowrider tied to their dock. It has a rating of 135 HP. My 17' Bayliner bowrider is only rated for 85 HP.

I think the issue is related to relatively light weight of Bayliner hulls. This makes them less sturdy perhaps, but it also make them faster with a given HP, all else being equal. So a lot boils down to keeping the speed down to design levels.

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

I don't see a real problem going to 60 hp, even if its a new motor rated at the prop and the old Force is rated at the flywheel. Don't expect too much increase in speed, maybe 5 mph max.​

chuckz

Chief Petty Officer

I put a Force 85 on that same hull. It's the perfect set-up. With the 50 the boat plowed into wakes when I throttled back. Now it ride up and over the wake. The boat jumps up on plane and tops out at just under 40mph. I've been running this way for four (4) years. No problem with the transom.

With the larger engine I also installed power TNT. The boat is very sensitive to trim. I also added Dolphins for stability. Without the fins the boat would roll when crossing a wake at an angle. It stays level with the fins.

The boat has been transformed and is a lot of fun to drive.