Trying to make some money...

Numlaar

Chief Petty Officer
OK guys, I am pretty hard up for cash, so I am thinking of doing a little Cl buying, fixing up, and re-selling...

One thing I am currently looking at is a deal on two motors...

a 1985 Johnson 90hp (V4), and a 72 Mercury 80hp (I4).

The Johnson comes with controls, and the PTT works, the powerhead is siezed and the skeg is a bit damaged... also seen some severe saltwater use...

The merc supposedly has a rebuilt powerhead, and overall looks pretty decent, but no controls, and the guy hooked up battery wrong and cooked all the wiring...

He wants 200 bucks. but when i was there checking them out, I said i wasn't interested, and in being honest I told him, he would probably be better off parting them out...

he said he didn't want to mess with taking them all apart... and just wants them gone...

I am thinking I could probably offer him 100 bucks and grab both... (50bucks each)...

Based on this info, do you think I would be able to make some money from parting these out?

I think I can get the following out of them:
From the Johnson:
Controls
PTT
Lower unit
Coil packs
Carbs
Cowl

From the merc:
Lower unit
Powerhead
Cowl
Carbs

Any thoughts?

Would it be worth the hassle? (i'm not interested in it if I am only going to make 50 bucks)

bob johnson

Rear Admiral
Re: Trying to make some money...

a working PTT, for that era should be worth $250-$400 alone

the lower unit if good about the same...

heck the prop might be worth the $50!!!!

sometimes you ahve to sit on stuff a long time. to get your money back...

the stuff that breaks is more of a seller...

good luck

bob

Numlaar

Chief Petty Officer

a working PTT, for that era should be worth $250-$400 alone

the lower unit if good about the same...

heck the prop might be worth the $50!!!!

Ok thats good to know, thanks Bob!

sometimes you ahve to sit on stuff a long time. to get your money back...

the stuff that breaks is more of a seller...

good luck

bob

Thats what I am worried about... I have very limited finances... and I dont want to buy up a lot of "junk" thats going to sit here forever... I need to be able to move some stuff...

Drowned Rat

Captain

Buying, fixing and selling used motors, you'll know you're doing well if you get your money back. I wouldn't recommend it as a way to make money, it's more of a hobby unless you're a professional working in a shop.

WAVENBYE2

Lieutenant Commander

Serviceing now thats another story

LIQUID PROZAC

Petty Officer 1st Class

post yourself on cl for local maintenance on boats and i bet you won't be able to catch up:D

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

The PTT and controls on the Johnson will make it a great investment for you by themselves. Anything else will be a bonus. You probably won't do as well on the old Merc parts but you never know! Definitely pick them up.