1984 Merc 6 cylinder 2 stroke low power under load

wcpricejr

Recruit
This Merc has plenty of power with the throttle in neutral with peaking rpms at 6K on the tach with only a little skip once in awhile. But when under load the max rpms I can reach at full throttle in gear is 3200. Put in new plugs. She is a little cranky to start but once up and warm, she restarts on the first try. I inherited this boat from my Dad and have no prior knowledge of the engine history or quirks.

daveswaves

Ensign
Re: 1984 Merc 6 cylinder 2 stroke low power under load

This Merc has plenty of power with the throttle in neutral with peaking rpms at 6K on the tach with only a little skip once in awhile. But when under load the max rpms I can reach at full throttle in gear is 3200. Put in new plugs. She is a little cranky to start but once up and warm, she restarts on the first try. I inherited this boat from my Dad and have no prior knowledge of the engine history or quirks.

Please don't do that anymore, never, never, rev a 2 stroke in neutral. Your Dad is cringing right now. What kind of boat is it on, how big is the prop, what pitch, all of that will affect WOT rpm. All mercs of that vintage are cranky to start, Lots of folks here to help you out.

CharlieB

Vice Admiral

ALL troubleshooting should begin with the very basics, like a spark test on ALL cyl's and compression an each cyl.

You could have even one dead cyl and not notice it at an idle or (God Forbid) reving the motor in Neutral.

wcpricejr

Recruit

I would be REALLY HAPPY if my Dad were cringing right now but unfortunately he is ashes are still warm sitting in a box in on my grand piano until the memorial service to spread his ashes off of Ilse of Shoals. By the way, the problem was a stator.