I should not do this but why?

emtmike

Seaman Apprentice
OK I am new to the whole boat thing. I had a 97 SeaDoo Challenger that I got cheep, cleaned it up and sold it. Ended up making some cash on it. I just picked up what I think is a 79 Grand Prix. The floor has this cheep astro turf kind of stuff on it and the seats are just hanging on. The deck itself seems solid. The guy I got it from said it got a new deck last year. What I was thinking of doing was stripping up all the carpet and either getting that rhino liner stuff or using the truck bead stuff you can get at the auto parts store. I then was thinking of laying some of that composite decking you use on your house deck. I know this is probably not a good idea but I am not sure why it wouldn't be. Any advice would be great. Thanks MIKE

emtmike

Seaman Apprentice
Re: I should not do this but why?

Please there must be someone here that can tell me this is a bad idea before I do it.

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,... Weight,.... Why add the Weight of the decking,...

Just the bedliner alone is Fine,... Some lines carry many Colors to choose from....

jonesg

Admiral

House composite decking is very heavy and weak. NG.

allpoints360

Petty Officer 1st Class

The floor has this cheep astro turf kind of stuff on it and the seats are just hanging on. The deck itself seems solid.

Why are the seats just hanging on? Are they screwed to the deck? Do you believe the seller that the deck was replace last year?

emtmike

Seaman Apprentice

I did pull up a little of the turf and the deck there looked new. The seats are sitting on box type stands the are made from OSB. That stuff sucks and is wet and falling apart.

Andy in NY

Commander

emtmike, the composite decking offers very little in terms of strength, it more expensive and is heavier than plywood.

as for the rhino liner, IMO its a waste of money. first of all you would need to find it in a lighter color because the black will get so hot in the sun. second, a kit with enough to do the whole floor will run you well over $100. I painted mine with a porch floor paint with sand. total cost was about $25 and looks decent. you can also use durabak for the same cost as the rhino liner, but can get different colors and it is impregnated with a silicone additive for non slip.

Lion hunter

Lieutenant Commander

I'll give a 2nd to the porch paint w/anti skid. I used polyurethane enamel (glidden) with a pouch of behr antiskid. With rollers included I had $30 invested in it. 1 gallon did my deck with 3 coats top and bottom. It is very durable. I don't remember what the anti skid contains but it sure seems to make the paint harder. I painted my seat bases with no antiskid in it (same paint) and it is no where near as hard. Nice thing is when it's dirty I can just jack the front of the boat up and wash it out. If it gets messed up I can just repaint. Also, the antiskid I used you cannot really feel it at all with bare feet.