what model year?? - Johnson Seahorse 10HP

spriessman\

Cadet
Day one of happy ownership - figure I need to know the model year in order to source parts, buy manuals, etc, etc.

Johnson Seahorse 10HP - while/ivory cowling w/bronze trim & lower unit

Step One: Shiny circle dataplate (?) on side of cylinder reads "1785792"

Step Two: Need a gas tank, lines, all connections/fittings

Thanks for your help!!

MushCreek

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: what model year?? - Johnson Seahorse 10HP

The motor should have a model number on it. The tag will be on the left transom clamp (the side with the tiller). If the hood is mostly white with red trim, it would be a 1958 Model QD-19. It could be the wrong hood, though- several years fit. In '58, they went to 4 bolts where the water pump housing is, as opposed to 5 bolts on the earlier ones.

spriessman\

Cadet

Thanks a bunch, found it.

Model Number: QD-19
Serial Number: 1785792 (same number on the circular metal tag on cylinder)

This confirms a 1958, I think.

Any ideas on sourcing a fuel tank, lines, fittngs??

jonesg

Admiral

Craigslist or ebay for the tank, make SURE it come with the twin hose and connector, that stupid little connector costs $170, a lot of guys convert them to fuel pump and a single fuel line for that reason.

Mine is a QD20 , its a 1959 10hp, so yeh maybe yours is a 58.
Haven't run mine yet but I did go thru the ignition system, coils were cracked so I replaced everything.

Sea18Horse

Chief Petty Officer

check with the gentleman looking into selling one. Johnson pressure tank? where to sell one Could be just what you need. Of course it's probably clear across the country. That'd be my luck!

Cheers....................Todd

spriessman\

Cadet

Thanks all around (once again)

Ended up sourcing e-Bay last evening and finding a tank that the seller claims holds pressure with good hoses and fittings. I watched the bidding spool up quickly from $40 to $75............ I got lucky at $89 and change. Now we wait for the shipment to arrive. Then, we'll see if things really are as promised.