only 9mph @ 4000rpm !!!

lekmedm

Seaman
After having gone through much pain to work out cooling issues with my OMC 460, I finally have the engine running great - at least while docked! :(

I finally got to take it out this season and only got to 9mph @ 4000rpm checked by GPS. Now, I don't expect a 26' cruiser to be a rocket, but I think it should do better than that. I have a 15x17 SS prop on it right now. There is a 160*F thremostat in now and at 4000rps I'm running around 170 - 180*F. There's also fresh bottom paint. I don't even know where to begin to look to fixing this. Is this a carb adjustment thing?

Help!

(Rick, are you out there...?!?!?!)

Chiliando

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: only 9mph @ 4000rpm !!!

You sure you don't have a spun hub?

9mph can't be right.

Thad

Lieutenant Junior Grade

You sure you don't have a spun hub?

9mph can't be right.

That's what I'm thinking.

What does the engine rev up to total?
At what rpm do you hit nine? If you trim down and gun it, do the rpm's jump before the boat?

You got something definitely not right.

witenite0560

Petty Officer 1st Class

Is the dock still attached?? Sorry, couldn't help myself. Gotta be a spun prop or sheared shaft, if it's running good and making 4000 rpm.

QC

Supreme Mariner

You need to mark the prop across the inner hub to the outer ring with the blades. Scribe somehow, run the boat, if the lines don't match up after you run her you have a spun hub (good thing in this case). If they are still aligned, then you either have a spun coupler between the engine and drive or something internally wrong with the drive. I would not suspect something internal as you would not typically make 1 MPH let alone 9 . . . ;)

lekmedm

Seaman

When we're talking hubs in this case, are we talking about the prop itself? There is no insert within the prop. It is one piece inside and just has the splines that fit over the spinning thingy. :D

QC

Supreme Mariner

They are almost always two pieces, in your case I seriously hope so . . . They are usually pressed together tightly with a rubber "ring" in between.

Bondo

Staff member

When we're talking hubs in this case, are we talking about the prop itself? There is no insert within the prop. It is one piece inside and just has the splines that fit over the spinning thingy

Ayuh,... But it's 2 different materials that can become Internally seperated...
As noted, Mark it, Run it, Check it...

lekmedm

Seaman

I have a replacement prop that's aluminum. Maybe I should switch them out...?

QC

Supreme Mariner

Yes, that would be good too . . . process of elimination.

lekmedm

Seaman

Is the dock still attached?? Sorry, couldn't help myself.

Hehehehe... good one... Of course, at the dock I'm running at idle. It's out on open water that I'm up at 4000rpm. (Just to be clear.)

I'll swap out the prop this weekend. It should be nice out here in New Jersey. :cool:

Chiliando

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Let us know how the results of the Prop swap.

78ImperialT

Petty Officer 1st Class

maybe youll get lucky and it will work.

EddiePetty

Lieutenant Junior Grade

......been bitin' my tongue since the initial post !!!!

You DID take the boat off the trailer...didn't you.

Just Ed

HappierWet

Master Chief Petty Officer

......been bitin' my tongue since the initial post !!!!

You DID take the boat off the trailer...didn't you.

Just Ed

AND I thought he was draggin an anchor, I just didn't think it was quite that big.:D

Seriously, It's either the prop hub, or the coupler:).......OR it's really SERIOUS.:rolleyes:

lekmedm

Seaman

Takin' cheap shots at the newbie, eh...? Hehehehe... I know it's in good fun. :cool:

If I had my boat on a trailer, I would think my truck could tow it faster than 9mph! ;)

The anchor I'm dragging is my enthusiasm for this boat. :rolleyes:

...and Jeep Man, as one Jeep guy to another, that "shut off the motor" shot was low! I may be stupid, but I ain't dumb!

LIQUID PROZAC

Petty Officer 1st Class

good sense of humor lekmedm--let us know how it turns out

RickJ6956

Petty Officer 1st Class

I've had two boats that had the same symptoms: The engines revs, but the boat doesn't go.

My 20-foot Four Winns spun a prop. With the boat on the trailer, battery disconnected, and the drive in gear, I was able to spin the prop fins by hand without moving the inside hub or shaft. Took it to a prop shop. They fixed it for about $60.

The 25-foot Larson spun a coupler. The coupler is bolted to the flywheel at the rear of the engine. This is where the transfer of power takes place between the engine and outdrive. In many boats the spline (shaft) that comes from the drive is exposed -- like the driveshaft in a car where it connects to the transmission.

Look for signs of a spun coupler: Metal filings or rubber filings under the point at which the spline enters the flywheel cover. Get your head down there and use a flashlight and mirror.

A spun prop is an easy fix. Pull it and send it to a prop shop for R/R.

A spun coupler requires pulling the drive and the engine. It's a do-it-yourself project if you're mechanically inclined. You'll save at least $1,000.