What does everyone think? Possible project boat?

JFETTER

Cadet
i just recently talked to a guy wanting to get rid of his tri hull , and i have been thinking about buying it. always wanted to rebuild a tri hull , loved them all my life. he sent me pictures , but im curious if what im getting is going to be too much for my first time around. its not that i dont know how to fiberglass or do mechanical work ( worked on cars my whole life) , i just dont want to get in over my head. What does everyone think? im open to all suggestions?

Attachments

• starcraft capri 001.jpg
    starcraft capri 001.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 0
  • starcraft pics 001.jpg
    starcraft pics 001.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 0
  • starcraft pics 003.jpg
    starcraft pics 003.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 0

Schmoe

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: What does everyone think? Possible project boat?

Lot's of variables with pictures only. Do some reading on here on other boat projects and assume that you will have to do the worst and all repairs, and then weigh it amongst yourself and see if your up for the "challenge." There's obviously a new floor, so the Lord only knows what lies underneath and the biggest question would be "why?" was it done? Don't know how far it is to go and physically check, but it would be worth it for the piece of mind. Looks like the boat sat uncovered also, bad sign.

boatflipper

Chief Petty Officer

Definitely check out the floor and transom. If the floor has weak spots, most likely the stringers, floor, and transom is rotten. If that is the case, well, be prepared for a lot of cutting and grinding:D
Good Luck!

boatflipper

Chief Petty Officer

Also meant to say I would take it in a heartbeat if the price is right. I guess I just have a soft spot for tri-hull's;)

jonesg

Admiral

Looks like it just needs TLC,

thats boat code talk for deck,stringers, transom and seats.:)

What have you got to lose except money... and time...we all did it and we're only slightly nuts....I think..;)

BTW, that trailer looks like its set up all wrong.
Boat is too far fwd on the rollers and the bow stop is set way too high.
Keel at the front looks like its hitting the frame (tongue) and its lacking a bow safety chain. I don't see any transom straps either.
Thats very precarious.

jcsercsa

Captain

Go for it !!! Love Mine !! and that was my frist one !! pic of work so far !! she will be a lot of work , but well worth it !! John

Knotty1

Seaman Apprentice

Depending on the price, time and money you want to put into it... Why not?
Does the motor run??
I've just started my first boat project and so far so good...

Go for it.

allpoints360

Petty Officer 1st Class

i just dont want to get in over my head.

If you're talking financially, only you can answer that. If you're talking about your ability, you can learn as you go. Nobody knows it all about anything.

You can start a resto thread.

Good luck!

Lion hunter

Lieutenant Commander

Just about any boat can be restored. Question is how much you want to spend. Figure out what it needs, get a cost estimate and double it. That might get you close. I'm guessing that if the motor is good you'll have at least 2k in it to get it on the water. But if you want a trihull their all going to be old and probably need redone. I wouldn't pay any more than the motor is worth if it is in good running condition. Tri hulls are a great boat but they are dated and can be a tough sell. I'd think you could get this one cheap.

tallcanadian

Captain

Do it. A beautiful tri hull indeed.