lower unit

sween

Cadet
i have a 1985 johnson 25hp model 25rcos .trying to drop lower unit to fix water in oil problem got all hardware off and have it separted a bit in two spots understand that i have to separte linkage under water vents.i have tried every thing on these two nuts but can,t get them to budge and it is getting to the point where the brass nut is starting to get round can anybody help me on this before a fire starts .ha .ha thanks

aguitarestv

Seaman
Re: lower unit

did you try spaying it with any penetrating fluid like pb blaster? that stuff can work wonders, not sure if its safe to put some heat on it, someone should back me up here, but start with penetrating fluid

Boblester40

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The gear linkage comes apart under the small inspection plate half way up the leg , what two nuts are you talking about ?

rgds
bob

sween

Cadet

on my lower unit there is no veiwing plate. there is the plastic vent covers and under those is agear rod with one end has a fix nut on the gear rod and above that has abrass nut on the rod which is suppose to loosen and tried penetrating oil with vice grips still can't get this thing to budge was thinking to put heat on it but was'nt sure about that.

sween

Cadet
Re:engine problem

Re:engine problem

my 1985 johnson 25hp runs great out of the water hooked up to muffs but soon as you put in water under load it starts to bog and want to stall and won't go

Whoopbass

Chief Petty Officer

I don't think heating the shift rod would hurt the LU. Worse case scenario cut it off and get a new nut.
Sounds like you have carb or electrical issues.

sween

Cadet

25 johnson putting new gasket in waterpump it's paper and wondering if it should be rubber and if it's alright do i apply anytthing to the gasket.thanks