Mid 80s - Early 90s 50hp Evinrude

phipps

Petty Officer 1st Class
I am going to go look at a mid 80s/early 90s 50hp Evinrude outboard. (hopefully I will have an exact model number later today) Are there any years I should avoid or specific issues I should be wary of?

I know to check compression and make sure cylinders are +/- 10% of each other, but is there a minimum number I should be looking for?

MAW31

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Mid 80s - Early 90s 50hp Evinrude

I propose to view it this way.

I had a mid 80's evinrude 88. compressions ran between 90-110.

did it run? yup.
did it get me there? yup.
did it do anything quickly? nope.

did I plow forever before planeing? yep.
did I have to ask people to move to the front to get on a plane? yep.

the bottom line is, a two-stroke will run on total crapo compression...yet...it'll run.

but...it definitely won't hole-shot for you, mpg will suxxor, you'll be an attraction at the docks while smoking out your fellow boaters, it'll have crappy idle characteristics
...but...
it'll run.

your question...whats the bottom line on compression...

the answer lies in how-much-are-you-paying and what are you asking of the motor.

me? I will never again buy a motor without a water run. Compression only tells half the story...

phipps

Petty Officer 1st Class

Im looking at trading a 95 28hp Johnson for this motor. It will be for my 24ft pontoon. I know what I have with the 28hp and just want to make sure I dont end up with a motor that isnt any good.

bob johnson

Rear Admiral

me? I will never again buy a motor without a water run. Compression only tells half the story...

well if you have good compression and good spark.....

seems, you have the foundation of a good motor, as long as the lower unit seems fine.

all else that makes a motor run bad propably is int he timing and fuel supply...which are doable.....like a bad cylinder is undoable for the average guy.

after reading these forums for 6 months...id say most running issues deal with fuel flow.....and most of those are dirty carbs..

many times when you buy a motor it isnt on a registered boat.

you get the best deals on someones yard ornament....

if you get lucky you can get a guy moving up who is selling his motor before he buy the next one...and you might be able to test the boat on the water

bob