Do I use bondo or not?

redeye1962

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have an aluminum boat that has some dents and scratches. When sanding the dents really show up and the scratches do not smooth out because they are down to the aluminum. should I try a little bondo on these spots? I am not too worried about the scratches but the dents may not hold up. Any ideas?

jackangel

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Do I use bondo or not?

Are the dents above or below the waterline? As far as I know Bondo is not ment for constant contact with water.

tim24

Seaman

Bondo is a polyester based filler,but it is pourous and it needs to be primed and topcoated below or above the water line.I would use a good epoxy primer then topcoat with a good 2 part polyurethane. A better choice for filler would be a epoxy based product tim24

redeye1962

Petty Officer 1st Class

The dents are both above and below the waterline. I would have to grind the paint to the bare aluminum and then bondo. Do you think it would hold with all of the vibration?

cutlass185

Cadet

bondo will work fine as long as the boat isnt constantly in the water, should be topcoated with sealer and painted with an epoxy paint. Make sure bare metal is primed with a self etching primer. top coats can also be urethane but i would recommend keeping it out of the water for atleast a week after spraying. filler and buildable primer consume water and will bubble the paint so only go as thick as you need.

redeye1962

Petty Officer 1st Class

use JB Weld marine.

Funny you should say that. The first time I painted 15 years ago I used JB Weld. It seemed to hold up well.

So will rustoleum work for paint? Self Etching primer.....Is that the green colored primer? Top coat of ??? Can I get it at HD?

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Rustoleum will work. You only need the self etching primer is you are taking it down to the bare metal.

redeye1962

Petty Officer 1st Class

This makes me feel better. I was afraid of using bondo because it may fall off from the vibrations. If I trailer the boat it should be alright under the water line cuz there sure are alot of dents on the bottom.

It is going to look ugly for a while and I am already hearing about it but I want to take my time and do it right. the next thing is to figure out how to get it off the trailer. That will be a bit tricky.

Thanks for all the help.

Floatsum

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Dents- Hold a 2X6 or such on the outside and bang them out from the inside.

redeye1962

Petty Officer 1st Class

Dents- Hold a 2X6 or such on the outside and bang them out from the inside.

As much as I would like to do that most of the dents are not accessible from the inside. Pluse I would have to be in 2 places at once.

I guess another question from a lazy person:rolleyes: is do I really need to bring everything down to the metal? I am sure I do but I hate doing that because the original paint is sticking quite well to the hull, it was just scratched up and faded.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

I guess another question from a lazy person:rolleyes: is do I really need to bring everything down to the metal? I am sure I do but I hate doing that because the original paint is sticking quite well to the hull, it was just scratched up and faded.

Absolutely not. If your original paint is adhering well and not flaking just scuff it up and top coat.

redeye1962

Petty Officer 1st Class

Absolutely not. If your original paint is adhering well and not flaking just scuff it up and top coat.

Did I say lazy Dufus? I did not mention to bring the dents to the metal and bondo them. Will the Bondo adhere to the original paint or do I need to bringit down to the metal? sorry it is that communication think my wife complains about. :D

Splat

Lieutenant

Does anyone know a convenient place to get self etching primer? I'm gonna need touch up some places on my boat this year as well.

Is it available only from a paint shop, or will home depot carry something that will work?

Bill

tim24

Seaman

Self etching primer does not always protect against corrosion,Iwould use conversion coating /alodine and a good epoxy primer;check with your local autopaint store and be careful, both those products contain so forme of acid chromic sulfuric or both use good gloves eye protection and a resperator

redeye1962

Petty Officer 1st Class

ok just so I have a good understanding about this. Do I have to sand the dents to the metal or can i bondo over the paint. If I sand to the metal should the special primer go on first then the bondo or visa versa? Then after I sand the whole boat should I use Rustoleum primer for the whole boat (over the sanded paint) then paint?

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

1 Yes all areas that need filler will need to be sanded down to bare metal.

2 Bondo is not what you want to use below the water line, get a product that will work on aluminum "and" work under water. Things like JB weld or Marine Tex are typically difficult to sand. For a couple of small spots they're OK, for many spots, it can add up to a great deal of work. so find something that is designed to be sanded.

3 You don't need to sand off the paint that's in good shape, but all areas that are sanded to bare metal need a primer designed for aluminum.

redeye1962

Petty Officer 1st Class

1 Yes all areas that need filler will need to be sanded down to bare metal.

2 Bondo is not what you want to use below the water line, get a product that will work on aluminum "and" work under water. Things like JB weld or Marine Tex are typically difficult to sand. For a couple of small spots they're OK, for many spots, it can add up to a great deal of work. so find something that is designed to be sanded.

3 You don't need to sand off the paint that's in good shape, but all areas that are sanded to bare metal need a primer designed for aluminum.

If I trailer the boat would it be alright to use bondo below the water line? The parts I have to sand to the metal do I need to primer prior to the bondo?

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

If I trailer the boat would it be alright to use bondo below the water line? The parts I have to sand to the metal do I need to primer prior to the bondo?