Johnson 150 fuel pump question/problem

mulisharacer

Cadet
Hey guys I am new to the forum..just was wondering if i could get a little help...I just purchased my first boat and am very excited. it has a 1987 Johnson 150 hp motor. My problem is the boat has been sitting for 2 years i have flushed out the fuel tank using new fuel and completely cleaned/rebuilt the carbs. compression is acceptable for accross all 6cyl.'s. I can use the primer bulb to fiill the carbs but when i crank the motor over no fuel actually gets into the combustion chamber(plugs stay dry, fuel doesn't get to them), and when i pull off an enrichener line while the motor is cranking/no fuel comes out of it. This makes me think i have a fuel pump issue. Any thoughts? Is it an electric fuel pump? Any info would be great. Thank you very much!!!

jonesg

Admiral
Re: Johnson 150 fuel pump question/problem

Describe your startup proceedure.
Do you push the ignition key in to activate the cold start injector?
Can you hear the solenoid click?

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

Should not be an electric fuel pump that I know of. Run the pump to carb line into a container and crank the motor over. Then see if fuel is being pumped from the pump to the container. Should be making continuous healthy looking spurts as you crank it. If it starts good and dies off you most likely have a pump issue.
Is the motor still running a VRO / OMS system or are you premixing your fuel ??
Post a photo of the fuel pump (s) if you can.
Welcome to iboats.

mulisharacer

Cadet

its vro fuel pump. is that vaccuum operated? i didnt even know to push the ignition in. the enrichener is electic? by pushing the key in while cranking it that will make the enrichener lines get fuel? does it rely on this for intial start up? and then engine vacuum takes over?
thanks!

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

The engine should suck fuel through the carbs whenever cranked. If you depress the key while cranking, the electric fuel primer solenoid will inject extra fuel (only when the key is pushed) for cold starting. You may have to depress it a few times after initial starting till it warms up. You will have a tough time starting it without using the primer solenoid when cold. You should not need to use the primer system again, once the engine has warmed up.

mulisharacer

Cadet

ok i just got home from work and tried all the advise. oil and fuel lines are plugged into the pump and have been that way since i got the boat. i disconnected the fuel line coming out of pump the feeds the carbs and cranked the motor over several times. no fuel pumped out of pump so unless the vro pump is an electric fuel pump it looks like ive got problems. if i squeeze the fuel bulb fuel will come out of pump and into carbs but fuel does not come from pump when cranking the motor over. any thoughts?i also tried pushing the key in and i do hear a click. is the click normal or should it do more? any info is great!! thanks people!
-curt

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

Click is normal. You do by the sound of it have fuel pump issues though. You can get a rebuild kit for the fuel side only if you choose to rebuild it (cheapest option). Other options are to replace with an OMS pump or change to a premix pump (much cheaper) and start premixing your fuel. For a V6 you may well need 2 premix pumps to handle the amount of fuel flow. I use 1 on my 4 cylinder 140 hp but with 6 cylinders you should use 2.

mulisharacer

Cadet

what are the wires going to the fuel pump for? any idea?

jonesg

Admiral

Wires to the pump are for the no fuel alarm .

The pump is vacuum powered, it draws vac from the engine block, look for a hose leading from the pump to the block, there will be a brass check valve screwed into the block, if that valve is clogged the pump will be weak or dud.

Test it by removing and checking for flow in one direction, blow carb cleaner thru it, ditto for the feed hose, if they are good then its probably the fuel pump. If its clogged it will either not pass any flow in either direction or allow flow in both directions, replace if bad.

As Kenny says, you might be better off financially converting to fuel only and pre-mix your own.

When you key the ignition on the warning system should make a single self test beep, does it?

If you unplug the brown overheat sensor wire on top of the block (between sparkplugs ) and touch the wire to the block the warning horn should sound, its kinda important that the warning system is functional.

mulisharacer

Cadet

no there is no beep at any time with the key. i will take your advise and spray all the lines and again try to see if the pump will pump if it does not it looks like its time for a new one. i have no problem mixing the fuel. what should the fuel be mixed to is it 50:1? where can i get a fuel only pump? any ideas would be great. do you think it will require 2 pumps? thanks!!!

mulisharacer

Cadet

looks like i have a decision to make hahah. thanks for all the help i really appreciate it!

-curt

jonesg

Admiral

You need to fix the alarm system, seeing as theres no self test beep it makes sense to look at the horn itself, it should be located by the ignition switch, sometimes they're in the shifter box, mine is clipped to the harness wires next to the ignition lock.

There should be 12v present when the ignition is turned on ( purple wire is the v feed, grey is the sensor feed wire. black is ground) doh!;)

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

Agree. Important to have the alarm system functional. Could save you a lot of money in the long run.

mulisharacer

Cadet

ok i will check out the alarm system as well. thank you all so much i will let you know how it goes when i get a new pump. cant believe how expensive they are!! crazy!!
-curt