86 bayliner capri 1600

notsunkyet

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Ok im down to the last major thing in my restore... THE TRANSOM! i finally got all of the old wood outor should i say paper and dust! but im curious the original transom was a peice of 5/8 or 3/4 and a piece of 1/2 that only went to the bottom of the splash well... i dint plan on cutting the well of at all and was wondering if it would be a good idea to make the transom 1 1/4 since i may want to hang a 125 on it later (have an 85 on it now)? also what is the concensus on GORILLA glue? i was toying with the idea of that to glue the transom wood to the transom fibergalss? or pl? or just resin?

oops!

Supreme Mariner
Re: 86 bayliner capri 1600

forget glue all togeather....you are asking for trouble...

do it right.....fiberglass the new transom into place.....

after grinding the old shell to the glass and cleaning it with aceitone....do two layers of csm on the old hull.....when that is STILL WET...add your new transom and bolt and clamp the heck out of it....you want to see some resin squeezing out. (dont squeeze it all out)

after its solid...(only an hour or two) you can jump in and hit the gap at the edges with a structural peanut butter.....

(see the index in the hull thread for oops super dooper peanut butter)
there is also a detailed transom tutorial

when that is still starting to cure you can add another layer of csm then a 1708 wrap......with the csm and the 1708 you can use the excess to tab in the tranosm to the hull.

if you do it that way....your transom will be a part of the hull....and stronger than factory

cheers
oops

Mark42

Fleet Admiral
Re: 86 bayliner capri 1600

A 125 is way over the boats limit of 90hp. The 85hp will push it to 40-45 with a light load, so expect things to start breaking with a 125 pushing the hull at speeds higher than that. Plus there is the whole insurance and liability issues if something bad happens.

I've used Gorilla glue (the syrup colored version) and I would not use it for anything structural. Stick with PL or thickened resin.