motor starting in gear

aguitarestv

Seaman
ok first things first, motor is a 69 johnson 115-hydro electric shift, had this problem along with others in past few years, boat macanic told me to take the wire of the nutral safty switch and hook it up to ground to bypass it. also just ran test and it says that the ign. safty switch is bad(now not getting spark). stealership says that they would get this part out of the vintege wearhouse at the sum 210$ what i was wondering if theres anyway to bypass this switch because i also just had to replace a head gasket, cover gasket, and cover and found some slight scoring in one of the cylinders. looking for a way to get this thing to last me the rest of the season so i can rebuild it or get a new motor for next year. also any other test to run to see why the electric shift is not working, have all good grounds, conections and battery is fully charged, i know it needs atleast 12 volts to shift and fire up the powerpack, and coil. also motor is cd ign. if that makes a differance. thanks in advance
Adam

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
Re: motor starting in gear

The neutral safety switch is simply a on/off ground connection switch for the starter solenoid circuit and it lists for about $26.00. How many would you like to have? I have a few left.

The above switch has absolutely nothing to do with the ignition circuit as far as producing spark, nor does it have anything to do with the shifting setup.

No spark? Normally due to a failed amplifier, also referred to as a pulsepack or powerpack.

aguitarestv

Seaman

i know about the nutruel safty switch, its the ignition safty switch is were i think my problem is....it has 4 wires or so, one to the pulse pack, ground, and the shift diodes. the point of the switch is so a overheated motor wont start and have a runaway motor. it doesnt sent power to the pulse pack until the magneto is spinning and so on. the no spark isnt so much of the problem at the motor starting in gear, and wont go into reverse.(no shifts at all) that why i was wondering if i can bypass the IGNITION safty switch. to see if thats where my problem is

Daviet

Fleet Admiral

Isn't the safty switch and shift switch all in one, mounted in the control box?

aguitarestv

Seaman

no the ignition safety switch is a circuit, mounted between the pulse pack and terminal board on the back of the motor(exhaust cover).

F_R

Supreme Mariner

no the ignition safety switch is a circuit, mounted between the pulse pack and terminal board on the back of the motor(exhaust cover).

The ignition safety circuit is to prevent unintentional starting. Are you sure it is bad? It is turned on by alternator output. Is your alternator working? Until you know that everything else is working, you can eliminate the safety circuit. Just remove the purple/black stripe pulse pack wire from the terminal board and attach it to one of the screws with the purple wires.

But be careful with it if hooked up that way. It is possible for the motor to start with the key on and not cranking the motor.

aguitarestv

Seaman

well the test says to take the wire from the safety switch off the terminal 7, turn the key on and with the test light on it should glow, witch it does. then it says to take the wires off of the 1,2,3,and 4 terminals, which are to the shift diodes and rectifier, then if the wire from the 7 terminal still glows (which it does) then the switch is leaking and needs to be replaced. if the light goes off then the problem is with the shift diodes or rectifier. so it seems that the safety circuit is getting juice, but isn't opening up and letting it go the pulse pack and shift diodes, which leads me to believe that it is the switch because i had the motor running, but was still in gear(bad safety switch?) and know nothing at all.so the purple/black wire from the pulse pack move to a purple wired terminal? theres a few, any idea on what terminal # it is, or what it runs to? just so i don't put it on the wrong one.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

Are you speaking of the Clipper Circuit?

aguitarestv

Seaman

not sure if it is a clipper circuit, but there is no purple/black wire on my pulse back, there is black(ground) blue (coil term)black(to coil) gray (term. 4) and red and black(plug to sensor base plate)

aguitarestv

Seaman

OK there was a purple wire from the pulse pack, looked gray and was in the wrong spot! so i moved it to the purple terminal and she started! but know with the blown safety switch bypassed (disconnected) it is still starting in gear...what is the best way to power the shift diodes? jump a wire or just move the diode wires to the terminal with power?