yamaha L4 to alpha 1

ricovw

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Just wondering, i am thinking of swapping my yamaha L4 leg out, and installing an alpha 1 drive. I was told that the transom cutouts are the same for the alpha g1, and that 2 holes would have to be added for an alpha g2. Can anyone confirm this?
Thanks.

Bondo

Staff member
Re: yamaha L4 to alpha 1

Ayuh,.... I've heard that Yamaha used the same cut out as Merc,...
But never had 1 apart...

ricovw

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks, that's what i heard also. My yammie outdrive is still good, i just want to be ready!!

nmaier2201

Recruit

Ricovw:

Did you ever end up doing the replacement? I am interested in hearing what you swapped out to and if it was a direct fit in the Hull or not.

Thanks

Nick

Capt Ken

Commander

Like was said. The cutout is the same except for drilling two additional bolt holes

nmaier2201

Recruit

thank you for the reply. I did see that... but you know how mod hell goes... two bolt holes can turn into a big ordeal... or it can be a quick easy thing.... I just wanted to make sure it was a quick and easy thing.... and thank you for verifying that.

Did you do the swap, are you speaking from experience?

Capt Ken

Commander

Actually did have Kennasaw phone me the other week asking questions. Strange to have Yamaha call me for parts.
Was hanging at my shop today and got a call looking for an impeller for a 3.0. Told him to come on by since I had one. When he was paying for it, he asked if I was the Capt Ken he read about on the Internet. Told him yes but flattery was not going to get him any discounts.

Maclin

Admiral

Actually did have Kennasaw phone me the other week asking questions. Strange to have Yamaha call me for parts.
Was hanging at my shop today and got a call looking for an impeller for a 3.0. Told him to come on by since I had one. When he was paying for it, he asked if I was the Capt Ken he read about on the Internet. Told him yes but flattery was not going to get him any discounts.

That's funny! :D