spray or brush/roll

Fishpoop

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Sorry if this subject has been beat to death before but...I'm planning on painting the inside of my 13' feathercraft Skipper over the Labor Day weekend and I picked up 6 spray bombs of Rustoluem clean metal primer and 6 spray bombs of Rustoleum enamel. I'm second guessing my decision to spray the enamel and just get 2 quarts or rustoleum paint and roll/brush it on instead of spraying. Does anyone have any input on if spraying with rattle cans are a huge pain in butt with something like this.

oops!

Supreme Mariner
Re: spray or brush/roll

roll and tip...

you will use twice as many spray bombs as you have

WesMason

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Roll & tip. It's easy to set up, easy to do...and like Oops! said it will cost less.

Fishpoop

Petty Officer 3rd Class

OK...roll and tip. I've seen it reference so so many times here and what exactly is "roll and tip"? I guess it has to refer to putting the boat on it's side?:confused:

Fishpoop

Petty Officer 3rd Class

OK OK, I'm a D-bag...roll a boat on it's side. Geez am I dense. I finally found a post from way way last year and it mentioned about rolling on the paint and then laying off the paint with a brush? I guess this proves I'm a newbie.:rolleyes: Is this assumption correct?

oops!

Supreme Mariner

lol.....:D

yep....fill the boat with paint....make sure its good and wet....then roll the boat over on its side and tip the excess paint out of it......tee hee.

using a foam roller.....roll the paint on....just as you would to a wall in your house.

do a small sevtion and then take a foam brush...try to get the really small celled brush....and just use the tip....dont mash the brush into the boat...just touch the paint...it should flow smooth after that.....

guys here are getting a professional sprayed finish using that method....

if you boat is a tinny....you will need to etch the alum first....or the paint wont stick....use the search feature,,,,there has been lots of alum roll and tip jobs.

cheers
oops

snal

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I'm in the process of painting a large aluminum jon boat. I sprayed the etching primer, then applied the paint (Parker duck boat paint) with a brush...and rolled the brush marks out. So far it looks great.

tallcanadian

Captain

Well, fishpoop, (I'm laughing like an idiot as I type your name), roll and tip like the fellas said will look nicer and be more uniform applying. And yes, use foam rollers, but don'l load up the paint too heavy. Do a small area, the use your brush to flatten out the bubbles. Brush in the same direction. The paint will level out and look nice. You may need 2 or 3 thin coats to look awesome. Lightly sand in between coats with real fine sand paper. Your results will be very nice if you take your time.