115 yamaha electric starting problem

carlcarew

Recruit
The engine is a 2005 115 hp 4 stroke 25 inch shaft total operating hours 185. Last week after 10 or so starts and stops to reposition the boat while drift fishing, boat wouldn't crank solenoid just clicked. Had minimal tools with me at the time, batt voltage indicated 12.4 at dashboard gage. Turned off all accessories which I usually leave on while drifting VHF radio, GPS and fishfinder) and tried 10 or more times with same result. After about 10 minutes tried again and started. Drove boat directly back to boat ramp, at ramp it started fine.

Pulled boat and when home checked battery connection (slightly corroded) I cleaned and applied electrical grease and retighted both terminals. Also checked connections at solenoid (loosening inspecting and retourquing) they looked as new. Boat started 20 times in a row then once it did the solenoid click again (voltage still around 12.3) and then started 10 times again. Cleaned the ignition switch plug behind the center console, no significant corrosion, and it started 15 out of 15 times, next day again 15 out of 15 successful starts.

Some background info the week before the trip the ignition switch was left on for 4 days which totally drained the battery. Battery was recharged 3 days prior to trip and it held charge (battery showed 12.6 prior to start of trip. Also during the trip I noticed a very slight unusual engine whine during idle (this was intermittant and sounded like an alternator whine) it was not loud and did not sound like something scraping or a bearing failing. the motor is not currently making the noise when ideling in the yard on muffs.

I am reluctant to take it to a shop because I cannot demonstrate the problem, however I an uneasy as I have a single screw and usually go in the ocean.

Right now the engine starts instantly, battery holds voltage even with all the starts I mentioned and no more that a total of 10 minutes running time battery still indicates 12.4-12.6 volts. and engine starts and runs as new.

Could I have damaged any parts by leaving the key in the on position, with engine not running, for several days?

any suggestions for tests I should run? Will respond with results to any replies

Thank You

robert graham

Admiral
Re: 115 yamaha electric starting problem

usually when my battery starts that "maybe I will/maybe I won't" stuff i just take the battery to Autozone, get it checked, and usually buy a new battery anyway. about 2 or maybe 3 years on a boat battery, since they sit around and drain/discharge a good bit, unlike a car battery that gets driven most every day. Good Luck!

carlcarew

Recruit
Re: 115 yamaha electric starting problem

Robert
Thanks for the idea, I should have mentioned battery was new this April and other than going dead the time I left the key in the on position It holds a charge just fine and the motor alternator keeps at fully charged from my boat use.