water hose installation

hyello

Recruit
I have a mercruiser alpha one and am changing the bellows & water hose. I am having an issue putting the water hose back onto the bell housing and transom...any pointers getting the hose onto the connections?

ziggy

Admiral
Re: water hose installation

any pointers getting the hose onto the connections?
yes. i've been hosed by that connection too. i've not looked at the book. but pretty sure it'll say put it on the bell housing 1st, then the gimble housing. do it the other way around. put it on the gimble housing 1st, then the bell housing. also. prior to putting the hose on the gimble housing side. i used a a cone that fit the hose to help spread it apart some. as that wasn't enough. i also used a heat gun to warm up the hose + used pliers to make the hole bigger. along with the pliers, i used 2 screwdrivers and worked the end of the hose while warm. always spreading the hole so it's larger. then. while still warm. i used dish soap on the inside of the hose. then. put it on while still warm..
myself. that hose gave me a bad attitude the first time i did it. some method similar to what i stated to work the hole bigger, more pliable and more slippery made that hose go on the gimble housing side easy, believe that or not. the bell housing side. i just soap it up and was able to push it on. also. doing it gimble housing 1st then routing it back to the bell housing. i didn't form any kinks in the hose as it routed from the bell housing side...
hope that helps.. it's a painful hose to say the least... these comments were about how i did it on my mercruiser 1 drive. i think your alpha1 will be similar..

hyello

Recruit
Re: water hose installation

Thanks Ziggy for the tips! I'll give it a try...