is it possible to have a weak flywheel

basspirate

Petty Officer 2nd Class
i have a 1978 evinrude 140. i'm not getting spark on one side of the engine. i tested everything back to the stator. on cylinders 1 and 3 i'm getting well over the 150v dva recommended out of the stator. however on cylinders 2 and 4 i'm only getting about 110v out of the stator, so i checked all my grounds and they were good. i bought a new stator and still have the same problem with roughly the same voltage readings. i checked the magnets in the flywheel for looseness but none were loose. a few had some very minor surface rust so i took some alcohol and rubbed off the rust from the magnets. i took a screwdriver and all the magnets appeared to have a pull to them although its hard to tell if its the same pull. i'm doing my tests with a fully charged battery and the engine seems to be cranking at full speed. any ideas?

wilde1j

Vice Admiral
Re: is it possible to have a weak flywheel

Flywheel magnets are very unlikely to be a problem. Your motor uses two power packs ... one may have an issue, which would affect two cylinders. Also, examine the wiring from the stator out for chafing, etc.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Re: is it possible to have a weak flywheel

Flywheel magnets are very unlikely to be a problem. Your motor uses two power packs ... one may have an issue, which would affect two cylinders. Also, examine the wiring from the stator out for chafing, etc.

The magnets used since WWII simply do not go bad. Well, maybe if you incinerated them.