Hoisting out an engine

TwoBallScrewBall

Lieutenant Commander
Hi all,<br /><br />I hope this is the right forum. Wasn't an engine question as much as a 'engine out of the boat' question. <br /><br />I am trying to decide how to pull the engine out of my boat. I have an engine hoist but I'm not sure if it will lift high enough to clear the back of the boat. I can also back the boat and trailer into the garage and attach a ratchet to the beams, lift it out, and then pull the boat out from under it. <br /><br />Any suggestions on which way to do it, or another way if you have any ideas?<br /><br />Thanks!

TwoBallScrewBall

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Hoisting out an engine

Sorry, the boat is a 1988 bayliner capri 1950, and it's on an eclipse single axle trailer. I would lift the trailer as nose-high as I could get it to lower the back of the boat. The engine is the OMC 3.0.<br /><br />Thanks.

flashback

Captain

Hey friend, not sure of what situation you have there, but I rented a highlift engine lift from my local tool rental for about 60 dollars a day, it is commonly used to pull engines out of trucks and such. I used it for a half a day to get the engine out and a half to put it back in........

Bondo

Staff member

With a 3.0l, You can Strip the motor in the boat,+ Lift(Manhandle, 2 guys) the long block out....<br /><br />Either of your Plans Should work just Fine.....

CCrew

Chief Petty Officer

I agree with Bondo. A 4 Cyl that size stripped to the shortblock one person can lift. Save the tool rental for beer money for a helper... but don't let him at the beer until it's out!<br /><br />-Roger

TwoBallScrewBall

Lieutenant Commander

Let me clarify, I have an engine hoist (boom type) and also have a ceiling-mount ratchet. I was just wondering which would be easier. Thanks for all the replies so far. Hey Bondo, you got a 3.0 for sale???

JasonJ

Rear Admiral

I personally prefer the boom type. Why don't you just slide the boom type into position and see how high it will go? Is it the kind that allows extension of the boom? <br /><br />On the other hand, the ratchet from beam technique may be the better bet. The boat will raise up a bit as the weight is unloaded from the trailer suspension. Either way, good luck....

Ralph 123

Captain

Drive the boat to a local mechanic with a good ovrhead hoist and ask how much to lift the engine out for you. I did it myself on my twin and if I had to do it again, I would just pay a few bucks, save my back an hours of labor. JMHO.

93bronco

Ensign

how about removing the tires/rims, then try & sea if you have enough clearance.<br />just a thought<br />ist nice when someone else gets the thanx for your suggestion.

Bondo

Staff member

Ya, I've got 3 of these things taking up Space in my garage......<br />1 was running fine when pulled from My boat....<br />1 was rebuilt, then lost a New NAPA piston... It needs to go back to the Machineshop for a cyl. liner....<br />1 is Still in a boat, Running on the river... It'll be out in the next month or so....<br /><br />Try me at bondo@twcny.rr.com

lakeman1999

Chief Petty Officer

Set your motor host in the back of your pick up, then it will clear the sides of your craft. :D :D :D :D

Northern Eclipse

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I had a height problem with pulling the motor from my last boat, I just pulled the wheels of the trailer and dropped it down with two small floor jacks, I gained that few extra inches to get motor over the transom..

TwoBallScrewBall

Lieutenant Commander

Northern, that's a good idea, hadn't thought of that. Thanks!<br /><br />Bondo, I emailed you last week about the engines, did youget it?<br /><br />Thanks,

Bondo

Staff member

I'd Go with your V-8 Idea.....

TwoBallScrewBall

Lieutenant Commander

It's looking more and more like that's the way I'm going.... just have to get a good estimate of the $$ that's going to be needed, I want this thing back in the water for spring so if it has to be another 3.0 so be it.

cpasseno03

Petty Officer 1st Class

How come the majority isnt voting for the overhead come-along approach? I cant tell you how many motors Ive pulled out of boats trucks cars, trailers... With my trusty come-along and our "lifting tree" we sheathed a truss in plywood for this purpose in the new garage tho....look out heavy things!<br />C

BillP

Captain

If the structure can handle weight from the overhead come along that might be ok. I would probably go for the engine hoist because they normally roll around and the motor can be handled easier. A forklift with extended forks and chain to attach the motor work real good too.

Bondo

Staff member

Or a Back-hoe Bucket+ Chain....