07 208 LXi Questions

jason4027

Cadet
I recently purchased a barely used 07 208 LXi with 13 hrs on the meter (now has 24hrs) and have some questions that I can't find answers to in the manual.

#1 - Original owner said the transom shower was hot water, I have discovered it is just fresh water from the lake and not hot or warm, has anyone tied a tee into the hot line after the thermostat on the engine to add some hot into the mix to make it warm. May have to put a valve in to add just enough hot when engine is running?

#2 - The digital depth sounder works great but has a temperature option as well but does not work. Was this an option I don't have? I think it is supposed to alarm beep when shallow water is detected(I have it set to alarm at 5') but no beep just displays shallow water alarm. Where is the depth sounder and temperature sensor located? All I see on the hull is a 2" round plastic screen covering the inlet for the transom shower under the leg near the drain plug.

#3 - There is a buzzer thats screams when the key is turned on when starting, it warns you of low oil pressure, I like the option but is very loud and annoying. Is it built into the gauge? I can't seem to locate it. I don't want to disconect it but wondering if I can shove some tissue in it to make it quieter?

#4 - It has a Clarion CMD4A head unit that will work with iPod CeNet Controller. I have looked on the internet for the cable I need to attach to the iPod but I read that it does not work/control the Ipod Touch or iPhone. Has anyone tried a touch/iPhone with theirs? I would like to use it but don't want to waste the money buying the adapter to find out it don't work with my iPod.

I know this is a lot of babbling but I am frustrated with the owners manual, it is very weak on info. Does anyone know where to download a service manual? Maybe there is more specific info in it. There has to be better info out there for the techs that work on these boats.

Thanks
Jay

gprince

Seaman
Re: 07 208 LXi Questions

Hello Jason, welcome to the 208 LXi family. What engine, drive and prop do you have? I have the 5.0 MPI, Alpha drive with the standard 3 blade aluminium 21 pitch prop. I tried a SS 3 blade, but put my aluminium back on. I'm looking for a a 4 or 5 SS prop to try.

#1 - My shower is only fresh water from the lake. I've had problems keeping the pump working. I've taken it out and cleaned the connections and everything worked fine. Put it back in the boat and it quit working a few weeks later.

#2 - I only have the digital depth sounder, but the shallow water alarm works. You have to set it each time you flip the power switch off. Bummer!

jason4027

Cadet

It has the 5.0L Volvo GL 220hp with penta leg and stock aluminum 3 blade 19pitch prop. The shower works all the time I flip the switch. I had read your post about your pump issues, did you fix it or just beat it into submission? LOL. The hole shot is alright, I am considering a SS prop of the same pitch or/and the smart tabs, have read about them lots on here and they sound very promising for slow speed on plane, Right now I can't stay on step below 20mph(spedo fairly acurate to gps). A little to fast for my 9 & 10 yr olds on the wakeboards. My concern with them is when in reverse. My depth sounder settings don't change when I flip the switch off, still says to beep but no beep.
Does yours have the temp option but not work or no temp option in the menu at all?

gprince

Seaman

I used to beat the pump, but just stopped using it. I might take it off again and replace the head, because that is where the problem is. I don't have the temp gauge. It might be a Volvo option. As far as backing up with the tabs, I have had no issues, but I haven't been in reverse at WOT yet either. One unique benefit from the tabs is it eliminated water from shooting up through the walk through when coming to a quick stop. Before the tabs, the passenger sitting behind me would get a wet fanny surprise! Now the boat is more level coming to a stop at quick speeds.

jason4027

Cadet

Okay a little digging and I found the annoying buzzer and put a piece of tape over the hole, now it is an acceptable volume.

Found the alarm for the depth sounder too, its hooked up so don't know why it don't work, it don't beep when the keys are pressed either with that option turned on. I found a manual for the depth sounder at Lowrance as well, it is a LST 3800. I believe a through hull tranducer is mounted in the hull somewhere, I am going to look for it, it should have a remote temp sensor run to the water. I will test the buzzer to see if it is crapped out.

Gprince have you ever seen a 208LXi in a color other than blue. I have found numerous on here and on the net but always blue, some with the wide blue stripe below the moulding but all blue.

I haven't experienced the water through transom walk through yet, good to know about that, might have to surprise someone with that. LOL

Have you pulled wakeboards with your tabs down? Does it affect the wake much. We are new to the wakeboarding and read conflicting posts about on plane or not on plane for best wake. I think with these boats not on plane would give the best wake if you can stay off plane at a fast enough speed. Prob not possible with tabs.

gprince

Seaman

You're right, I mostly see only blue 208's. They had a black one at the dealership where I bought mine, but I with the the MPI over the carb version. I haven't been towed behind the boat yet, cause I just had shoulder surgery, but it seems the tabs dig in at launch, so the wake has to be larger than before. I've pulled single skiers and up to 4 tubes and none of them have complained on the wake I generate. It also depends on how much weight is in the boat. I used to own a Mastercraft and wakeboarders wanted the big wake for huge air. I do see the tabs working when I take hair pin turns. They throw off sheets of water in the turns. Pretty neat to watch. At WOT, even though the tabs are pushed up, they tend to generate a fine mist behind the boat, adding to the fast factor, which is 55 on gps.

jason4027

Cadet

Okay so I found the tranducer, it is a through hull one mounted right under the engine on the hull. Also found the remote temp wire, sensor has been removed, and Larson chose the thru hull transducer to avoid putting a hole in the hull for the wire hence the reason the temp sensor isn't installed.

The depth alarm buzzer works when tested with a battery but does not work when connected to head unit. I am assuming somethings wrong with the head unit itself.

Gprince it seems we have the same taste, same boat and we pull it with a White 2009 Toyota Sequoia, which is basically the SUV version of the Tundra. Your wife isn't by chance a brunette dyed blonde is she. LOL

gprince

Seaman

Great investigative work, Jason. You're getting to know your boat much faster than I know mine! By chance do you have a battery cut off switch located in the compartment where the rear ladder is stored? My switch had a short in it and Larson sent me a new switch and a blank cover plate so that I could relocate it. BTW, the wife is a true brunette, but we all kid her about having blonde roots on some of the things she does / says!

jason4027

Cadet

My battery cutoff is under the rear bench against the engine wall. Larson probably re-located it due to your problem. Its in a dry location now.

Does yours have the table in the cockpit. Mine does but I think something is missing for it. The table post screws into the floor but the table won't slide onto the post. Perhaps some sort of plastic thing to go on top of the post so the table can slide onto it? Once again no info in the owners manual.
I can't believe Larson puts out such a generic manual for their boats, it appears from their website all bowriders use the same manual from like 2006 - current, with no specific info on the extras.

Does yours have a snap in carpet for the transom walkthrough? Mine has the snaps but I am missing the carpet.

gprince

Seaman

I rarely use the table, IMO there isn't enough room for it, I'll will try to check it for the piece you referenced. I don't have the snaps or carpet for the walk-through. I've seen others that did. I've had no issues other than the battery switch and shower pump head. Its a great boat and I get many, many compliments on it. My trailer has the led lights and it really stands out at night. One feature we enjoy is the bow filler cushion. We leave it in all the time. It's a great idea!

derekpfeiffer

Petty Officer 1st Class

My battery cutoff is under the rear bench against the engine wall. Larson probably re-located it due to your problem. Its in a dry location now.

Does yours have the table in the cockpit. Mine does but I think something is missing for it. The table post screws into the floor but the table won't slide onto the post. Perhaps some sort of plastic thing to go on top of the post so the table can slide onto it? Once again no info in the owners manual.
I can't believe Larson puts out such a generic manual for their boats, it appears from their website all bowriders use the same manual from like 2006 - current, with no specific info on the extras.

Does yours have a snap in carpet for the transom walkthrough? Mine has the snaps but I am missing the carpet.

I've got an 2008 lxi 228 and it does have the carpet that matches the rest of the carpet in the boat under the flip up cushion for the walk thru transom. Sometimes I leave it out due to the fact that was mentioned earlier about water coming up to the walk thru when stopping fast. After you get used to it tho you learn how to come off plane so this doesn't happen. but still often does when I let other ppl drive when they pull me.

jason4027

Cadet

Hey Derek
Have you ever used the table in the cockpit? How does the table top attach to the post. Is there an adapter I'm missing or is supposed to slide directly on to chrome post?

derekpfeiffer

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hey Derek
Have you ever used the table in the cockpit? How does the table top attach to the post. Is there an adapter I'm missing or is supposed to slide directly on to chrome post?

Good question mine is still in the plastic!!! i've got some real good friends that have a pontoon with a grill on it so when we're out on the river we always tie up to them and get on there's to eat...just use mine to get somewhere fast and for watersports. Just got mine cleaned up and dried back out and batteries charged from the weekend so its ready to go back into the shed tonight so I'll look when I put it away and let you know!!

derekpfeiffer

Petty Officer 1st Class

Well I got my boat out of the garage and put it back into the storage unit last night and snapped a couple quick pics of my table and post...this is what it looks like...let me know if you have any other questions!!!

Attachments

• 09-08-09_1835.jpg
    09-08-09_1835.jpg
    20.8 KB · Views: 0
  • 09-08-09_1836.jpg
    09-08-09_1836.jpg
    20.7 KB · Views: 0

jason4027

Cadet

Thanks Derek. Thats what mine looks like too, but when I was on the water I couldn't get the post into the table. I will try it again, maybe I didn't have my tongue in the right position:) LOL

singleski

Cadet

gprince posted "You're right, I mostly see only blue 208's. They had a black one at the dealership where I bought mine....."

:) Black 2005 Larson 208 LXI being hauled by a Black 2000 Denali. Next purchase, a Black 2007 Cadillac Escalade.:D

singleski

Cadet

Hey Derek

Mine just slides right on:), don't need to rotate it any certain direction. The table top can be turned to any angle. If you got the post in I assume you know how to release the table leg.

singleski

Cadet

Well I got my boat out of the garage and put it back into the storage unit last night and snapped a couple quick pics of my table and post...this is what it looks like...let me know if you have any other questions!!!

To store the table I place the table between the inside of the boat and the cold shower tank and then place the leg in front of the table. The table has never come out of this position and I usually drive wide open, jumping any wakes that come my way(drives the wife crazy:mad: but my kids love it:D)