1988 18' Capri BR - Where to put Speakers 3 & 4

sph130

Seaman Apprentice
I replaced the head unit and speakers on my 1988 18' capri bowrider i/o. However there were only 2 stock speakers. Any suggestions on locations for the 3rd and 4th speakers. Under the dash there is what looks to be a built up box under the storage. Could I cut into that to put a speaker on each side?

redone4x4

Lieutenant Commander
Re: 1988 18' Capri BR - Where to put Speakers 3 & 4

i am going to use 6x9s in boxes for my other 2 speakers. then i can mount the speaker boxes to the shelves under each side of the dash. thats my plan, anyways. havent done it yet though.

sph130

Seaman Apprentice

That gives me an idea - i could craft my own boxes for the speakers. (all four are 6 1/2" round). Then i can mount the box under the dashs pointing down. Would that muffle the sound too much?
Maybe I can make them in a way that they can detach and ill put carpet on them so they can be "portable" and positioned anyway around the deck.

Id love them to point back though.. not many places I saw that they could install into cleanly - probably why there are only two.

redone4x4

Lieutenant Commander

firing downward would be muffled too much. right now, i have 2 6" marine JBLs in the back, and 2 6" automotive ones ive been experimenting with up by the dashes. they are hooked up and everything, just not in boxes. they sit loose in the gunnels. nice thing is, when we are anchored i can move them up to the bow, point to the beach, etc. my plan is to have the 6x9s firing towards the rear speakers, so all 4 point towards each other. but yes, it would be nice to be able to move them remotely.