help

chrisandpete

Recruit
hiya was looking at a boat but really have no clue what to look for but heres the situation i want to restore a nice boat but i want to live on the boat its going to be in the water nearly all the time part from when it cant be for example maintainance for which ill have a caravan but yeah it will be for 2 people just wondering if you people could help me with what sort of power i need what sort of boat im looking at what length it will be moored up in the sea possibly a marina but yeah any help will be fantastic cheers people

pete and chris

WAVENBYE2

Lieutenant Commander
Re: help

The biggest you can afford if your going to live on it.

HappierWet

Master Chief Petty Officer

Wow, is that really all one sentence???

:eek:RUN ON :eek:

Um, Seriously.....Slow Down. Stick to the facts. Eliminate maybe. With no idea about boats, you're better off starting easy. The idea of the biggest you can afford will get you in over your head because you have no idea what maintenance is involved, much less how to handle such a craft. My nickle anyway......

WAVENBYE2

Lieutenant Commander

The idea of the biggest you can afford will get you in over your head because you have no idea what maintenance is involved
Thats what I meant when I said it. What he can afford, maintenance, Slip..Etc
"I" knew what I meant:D

26aftcab454

Lieutenant Commander

we are friends with a couple who baisicly live on thier house boat- it is about 44 feet long by 14feet wide. it is a 1969 year model that has 2 non running 318ci inboard motors and a non working generator. they paid $4,000 for the boat as is. the marina covered slip is $5,500 per year. they have shore power and water. They have put lots of work and elbow grease to clean - replaced carpert .ect...They are trying to get her running as I type this.It is funky old retro styled ,They have a near by apt they rent to store thier stuff.The marina has nice showers & restrooms. they have 2 other boats to crusie and sail in.They call it the lake apt. We hang out & have a blast there. decent 10ftx 8ft sized Front deck , large 10ft x 18ft top deck and a 10ft x 6ft rear area. The marina is really nice and rare to have anyone else week days and few on weekends- holidays are packed though.They are at the end of a 1,000slip marina and used thier small sail boat as a shuttle to the ship store/ office & parking lot.

Numlaar

Chief Petty Officer

Some friends of mine that were a couple (BF/GF), lived on a boat for a while... they started with a 32' carver, but they quickly found that was not enough space... they moved up to a 40' hatteras... but they had financing from his father...

this is not something that is cheap (initial expense of the boat)... slip fees, yearly maintenance, (and that doesn't count running it, which even with diesels will be quite pricey).

Just something to think about, if you truly want to go this route.

If you are looking for something cheap, the best bet would be to find an old houseboat... but that will be real "cozy" to say the least...

Good luck with your search.

redone4x4

Lieutenant Commander

honestly, spend the day at the marina you are thinking about. walk around, look at all the boats. im sure you will end up talking to some of the owners, get their opinion. that way you will be right there, looking at what boats offer what, but wont have the pressure of a sale on the line while you your just looking around.