Cable steering restricted in one direction

nickby

Cadet
I have cable steering issue on my '76 850 Merc. It works well in one direction, but I am limited in the other direction. I come up about an inch short (on the metal shaft attached to the engine) when turning right. I just opened up my starter and fixed that. Can I repair the steering unit?

Any thoughts?

j_martin

Admiral
Re: Cable steering restricted in one direction

I have cable steering issue on my '76 850 Merc. It works well in one direction, but I am limited in the other direction. I come up about an inch short (on the metal shaft attached to the engine) when turning right. I just opened up my starter and fixed that. Can I repair the steering unit?

Any thoughts?

It may be just adjustment. You need to figure out if it's in the helm or in the engine setup.

If you remove the steering link, you can see if you get full range on the cable, count the turns on the helm, and center it. Then you have to find out if there's enough adjustment in the tilt tube to center the link, or the link is the wrong length.

Long story short, center the helm, center the engine, hook it up. Should be good to go.

hope it helps
John

nickby

Cadet

Just last week, it was OK. Could this happen over time, or, in a split second?

verado7

Chief Petty Officer

not sure about your location but cable steering is illegal here - not to mention very unsafe .