Lower unit swap

Andrew C

Cadet
I broke the "skeg" (I think that what fin beneath the prop is called) I am told that it can't be repaired. I actually broke enough to see the gearing inside. I have a "93 Chris Craft 228 with a 7.4 ltr king cobra and a volvo outdrive. I found another outdrive that I am told is from a 460 king cobra. I am trying to find out the year and make. Would the two lower units possibly be interchangable? I would like to just swap out my good internals to the new housing. I am VERY new to the boating life and I am already breaking my new purchase. Any help would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Lower unit swap

I have a "93 Chris Craft 228 with a 7.4 ltr king cobra and a volvo outdrive.
The Volvo OMC joint venture didn't start till 94, what you probably have is the OMC King Cobra with the cone clutch. Either way, there is also a King Cobra with a dog style clutch, that was used on the 460's. All in all, 3 different King Cobra outdrives. and none of them are interchangable with the other.

Might want to post some pictures of your drive for ID.

Bondo

Staff member

I am VERY new to the boating life and I am already breaking my new purchase.

Ayuh,... Welcome Aboard Andrew,....
Unfortunately,...
You're about to learn that the driveline in your New boat was never very popular in the days Before it was discontinued....
There's Few laying around,+ New parts are also Rare to Non-existent....

But, Hey,... Good Luck with it,+ We'll be here to Help ya out any way We can,......;)

Andrew C

Cadet

So does the lower unit have to come from another 454 king cobra of the same year? Thanks again.