Newbie question on buying used boats

CharlieZulu

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hello everyone:

I have read as much as I can on the FAQ about what to look for, etc but have a few specific questions.

I am looking at a 1980 Crestliner bowrider, 16' with a 1975 Merc 650. It will be my first boat and plan to use it for casual cruising in fresh water. I know it's a bit of a dinosaur, but I hope to get it at a good price.

The boat has been in storage for the last 4 years, was purchased by the current owner who has run it 6-7 times this summer. He has had the motor tuned and says it runs great. I know that doesn't mean much unless I can get to the mechanic who did the tuneup. I am going to go and see it ( and get it in the water) this weekend.

Question: any pros/cons on old Crestliner bowriders? What to look for?
Also, I know next to nothing about the pros/cons on short shaft vs long shaft. What is supposed to go with this boat, long shaft?

Pic:

Boat1.jpg

Last edited:

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner
Re: Newbie question on buying used boats

That boat looks absolutely cherry. Your main concern on an older fiberglass boat is rot in the transom, deck, or stringers. Replacing any of these is a major job and the materials are kinda pricey. Check carefully for any soft spots in the floor and check out the transom as best you can. It would be fantastic if you could get an on the water test drive. If everything checks out it looks like a great first boat.

Tri-hulls can have a pretty rough ride in the chop but are very stable. They are also great fishing rigs.

Floatsum

Petty Officer 2nd Class

From the pix,, it looks great.
Get under it and check the hull closely. You'd see anything that's obviously afoul.
Take it for a ride with you at the helm. Make sure all controls work freely as they should. If the motor starts right up, runs good, no issues, you're lucky.
Look under things for scarfed wireing, mold, greasy bilge, etc.

If your toes curl with anticipation,,, buy it. :D

Remember, the motor may seem perfect at the time, but, some things let go unexpectedly and without warning. Things like electronics for instance.

Near season's end (at least here). Keep that in mind. run the crap out of it for the rest of the year and have it winterized and meticulosly tuned and looked over for next year.

You should be good.
Enjoy. :D

PS; I don't see any prior registration on it. Make certain there is not an issue with paperwork.
If it looks so darn good from a recent paint job,,, I'd get a red flag on that and really start picking things apart.
Personally, I wouldn't even consider a painted glass or aluminum boat unless there was something truely outstanding about it.
I know, some will recondition a boat flawlessly,,,, but many more paint to hide.

CharlieZulu

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks guys for the great advice.

The boat looks nice because the current owner has just stripped the paint and sanded all the outside of the boat and repainted yellow and orange marine paint 5 coats each. He hasn't done the Reg numbers and graphics/logos, etc yet.

It would help if I understood something about the construction of these boats -- I can easily check the transom I guess, since it's right there, but how/where do I check the "stringers"?

Were these boats completely fiberglass or is there wood or a wood frame somewhere I need to get at?

When it comes to the deck -- I presume this is what I stand on -- would this typically have been fiberglass also?

More pics:

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Even the trailer looks to be in great shape.

Stringers are typically strips of wood (usually plywood, at least partially encased in fiberglass) that run the length of the boat). They stiffen the hull and provider support for the floor.

It would be tough to actually check the stringers. Boats typically rot from the bottom up so by the time a soft spot shows up on the floor, the entire stringers are usually gone.

The transom is layers of plywood added to the stern to support the weight and force of the motor.

CharlieZulu

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks again -- the owner has redone the trailer as well, new paint, new submersible wiring and lights.

KurtG

Petty Officer 1st Class

The only thing that concerns me is that it looks like the boat is stored bow down. It looks well kept otherwise, I'd still check the floor carefully.

CharlieZulu

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The only thing that concerns me is that it looks like the boat is stored bow down. It looks well kept otherwise, I'd still check the floor carefully.

Sorry -- what do you mean "stored bow down", please?

BF

Lieutenant

he means that it should be stored with the trailer tongue elevated (with with a tongue jack or putting something under it), and the plug in the transom pulled.... that way, any water that gets in (rain etc.) drains out instead of sitting under the deck.

BTW, those boats are constructed with wood (probably plywood) in the transom, sandwiched between the outer and inner skins (fiberglass). There are also wooden stringers (running from the transom forward)... basically boards on edge... and then a deck (probably plywood) that is fiberglassed over.

Water sitting under the deck will cause it to rot and get soft, and with the stringer rotting close behind.

BTW, I'm not a huge fans of trihulls... they rattle your teeth in chop and tend to be heavy.... That looks like a lot of boat for a 65 hp motor to push. It might be ok for cruising, but a bit of a dog for watersports.

Anyway, that's my $.02

good luck.