1991 Sunbird Corsair 160

I have a 1991 Sunbird Corsair 160. This is also kind of a motor question, I couldnt find a topic that fit the question. Here goes. I have a 75 hp evenrude, I am going to replace it, I didn't get any manuals with the boat and cannot find the spec plate. I found a 115hp Mariner at a great price. I do not know what the max engine size is. The boat is 16.5 feet. Can anyone help me out? Thanks.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1991 Sunbird Corsair 160

That's a tuffy. If it is rated that high it's definitely the max. It might only be rated for something like a 90-100. My 16' is rated for 85 but it's a light aluminum hull. What's your reason for the upgrade? A 75 should push that boat nicely and the 3 cyl JohnnyRudes are known to have a great power-to-weight ratio.

Cant ski behind it no power. Had it at the shop carbs rebuilt, power prop. Has no power at take off. Compression is 120 for all three. Have spent a lot and no more power.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Obviously it would not be the IDEAL set up but you should still be able to ski behind a 75 on a 16' boat. Are sure you're not pushing a waterlogged hull?

New at this, how would I check to see if it was waterlogged? thanks..

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

You'd need to find out what your rig should weigh (NADA might have this info) and take it to a public scale (or a dump) and see what it does weigh.

Older fiberglass boats often have foam between the floor and the hull. Over time if the boat is left uncovered or has a leak etc. that foam can become waterlogged. It could be possible that you're carrying around a couple extra pounds. Search "core sample" on this forum for another way to check the foam.

Ok, that makes sence. The previous owner replaced the seats, he left a 6inch hole in the floor under both of the front seats. The foam was wet, How can I dry this or do I need to rip up the deck. Wow, I really got taken on this purchase. Would I be better off finding a new boat? I am sure it is waterlogged. Thanks again

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Here's the deal. Sunbirds and Bayliners were low-end entry level boats and utilized some questionable construction methods. One of their main issues was not properly sealing wood components so many of them are rotted to the core as I'm sure yours is if the foam is wet. The foam will not dry out. You need to remove it. The boat is repairable but it is a major job and the fiberglassing materials are expensive. Check out the restoration forum on here and you can see what you'd be in for should you decide to repair it. Specifically check out any Bayliner Capri projects because they should be very similar to your boat. Properly repaired the boat will be better built than it was from the factory and will probably outlive you.

I don't know what you paid but at the very least, a good running '91 Evinrude should be worth around $1000 especially if it has power tilt & trim.

Aren't you glad you haven't yet ponied up for a new motor?!

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Also, if you just wanted to get back on the water quickly and pretty cheaply, start looking for an aluminum hull with a dead motor. Aluminum boats are great because even if they are neglected and have rotted transoms and floors, they aren't difficult to repair. The stringers are aluminum.

thanks, winter is almost here so I have some time to think about it. Found a malibu for 15,000.00 new motor. If I want to ski and wakeboard that will be the way to go. Thank you for your time..

so anyway, not the smartest thing to do I am sure. My friend has a crain type thing in his garage. I lifted the boat up by the eyelet in the front (not the easiest thing to do, hope it holds) Braced it with lumber (again not to smart). So now the boat is vertical, and there has been no water comming out of the boat so far. So I am thinking it is not as waterlogged as I first thought. I am going to take some pictures to post on the how not to do things thread. Now I am going to drill some holes and check for wood rot and the other things mentioned above.