Should I buy a boat with a 3.0 Mercruiser sitting for 3 years?

Jwhit612

Cadet
Hi everyone. I'm looking at a '91 Stingray bowrider with the 3.0 liter Mercruiser engine. The owner says that he winterized it (although he did it himself) then hasn't run it for 3 years. He says that now the battery is dead and can't start it. I'm thinking I may be able to pick this up for a great price but want to know what I should insist on seeing before making a commitment. He is saying he has no money to put into getting it running again. I'm thinking it will at a minimum need carburetor work and probably new spark plugs and a new water pump. Since he did the winterization himself and stored it outside I'm afraid of a cracked manifold. I'm in SC so the winters aren't terribly cold but cold enough to freeze if he didn't get all the water out. Any other concerns I should have? Would $400-1,200 cover me to get it back running assuming all the above info was true?
I'm hoping to pick it up for $2000-2500. The rest of the boat is in good shape with no cracks in the upholstery and a solid floor. Any thoughts on price?
Thanks in advance for your wealth of knowledge.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Should I buy a boat with a 3.0 Mercruiser sitting for 3 years?

For 2500, if you can't run it, and take it for a test drive, walk away from it. Too many engines end up with cracked blocks, blown drives, water in the bellows etc. from lack of or wrong kind of maintenance, all with the owner saying everything is "Fine".

TowRoper

Petty Officer 1st Class

you could get your own battery for it and ask if you can tinker with it b4 you buy, Ive done that b4 and if he isn't hiding anything he should have no problem letting you check it out. this is coming from a risk taker tho if i like it I'm willing to fix it lol my wallet hates me for it too :redface:

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

Theres more to worry about than just the motor though..

Sitting outside for 3 years? Rain? Frost? Was it covered?

Even if the motor is halfway decent..The deck may be soft along with rotten stringers and transom...

I'd ask if he has muffs & a hose, verify the battery connecters, bring a battery and see what happens..But inspect the above items, the replacement of those items can easily run you more $$ than an engine.

Any chance you have a buddy that knows about boats that can go with you??

fishrdan

Admiral

I agree with DonS. Imagine if this guy blew the drive, parked it and then the block cracked...:eek:

If you are stuck on this boat, agree on a price with the condition the boat starts, runs properly and passes a test on the water. Buy (beg or borrow) a battery and make sure it runs before plunking down the money You might be blowing $70 on a battery, but saving yourself $2500 on a bad purchase. For $2500 I would expect some minor problems, but would also expect the boat to run properly.

If you are not familiar with boats ask some questions. You should never fire up and engine dry and there are lots of things to look for when buying an I/O boat.

Some food for thought, my buddy bought a $100 project boat and after 2 months of refurb work (paint, interior), he found out the drive was shot. $1400 he wasn't expecting to spend. He should have bought a different boat....

Jwhit612

Cadet

Thanks to all for your replies. I do have my father-in-law going with me that has a lot more knowledge than I do. I've never owned in I/O, just an ob. Is there any harm in changing out the old gas, bringing a battery and trying to crank it? Worst case it just won't start right?

Fishermark

Vice Admiral

I don't know how involved you want to get, or the owner will let you get... but since you are an outboard guy, I suggest bringing an outboard portable tank with good gas - hook that up to bypass the existing fuel tank and see if it runs on muffs. It will involve hooking up a gas line... so like I said, I don't know if you want to start disconnecting and reconnecting stuf... but it is just a thought.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

There is probably old gas in the carb and fuel pump. But you could take an outboard tank with some fresh fuel and plug it into the intake on the fuel pump. (plug the hose from the fuel tank so fuel doesn't leak everywhere). Hook up some muffs and give it a try. Make sure you have spark, and the drive is down, and Check the oil BEFORE you start and after you run it.
With 3 year old gas, it should still start and run.
If you do get it running, shift gears, and turn the steering full left and right. Listen for any unusual sounds from the gimbal bearing and ujoints. Along with the drive.
Also check the drive gear lube, milky oil means water intrusion.

TowRoper

Petty Officer 1st Class

i got this boat for $100 when he was asking 700 all cuz it wouldn't start in front of the guy maybe you will have the same luck? to top it off when i got it home i found he forgot to put the rotor back in! sold it for 3K and got my current boat :D

Attachments

• boat1.jpg
    boat1.jpg
    7.9 KB · Views: 0

Lubeboy

Cadet

If you are going to try to start, you really need to kick over first with plugs out? then squirt some oil in cylinders? Make sure good oil, like Don said and that mean both engine AND outdrive!... wonder if good enough to just hear running then shut her down?

Lubeboy

Cadet

Oh yeah, and I learned my lesson, dont buy boat not running for 2000-2500... outdrive is 1500, engine 1000.

make sure runs and outdrive in decent shape, take off outdrive top cover inspect for rust and lack of oil. turn prop to ensure it is smooth... etc.

TowRoper

Petty Officer 1st Class

if it starts let her run check for water leaks and water flow and listen for any noises that shouldn't be there just make sure the muffs didnt fall off or something bad like that if you take your own fuel use it its in your best interest to be sure!

todd d

Cadet

$2000 - $2500 seems like a lot to pay for a boat with a lot of question marks. I think I would keep looking.

I bought an 86 mach 1 with the 3.0 a month ago. Owner told me it had sunk, and engine was seized. The hull and interior were in great shape. I paid $700 for the boat and trailer. Took it home and started pulling the engine apart. Long story short, the starter was seized not the engine. I totally lucked out and have a nice little boat for $1200.

Bring a very strong but small flashlight. Check the oil, if he winterized it the oil should be clean. Pull the plugs and look in the cylinders, pull the oil fill and check out the valve area. If the owner will let you, pull the distributer out and shine the light in there. Any sign of rust in the engine probably means its scrap. Bring a battery and muffs and run a compression check.

The drive is another problem (which I knew nothing about, but got lucky). I would pull the cap off the top of the sterndrive. It should be full of oil right up to the drain plug. On mine, the bearing at the very top of the shaft was a little crunchy, and had run low on lube at some point (I found the blown oil seal when I replaced the water pump).

Hope soem of this helps.

proxyx

Banned

3 years not starting/running means nothing. You need to do your homework and find out about the condition. If engine, drive and hull is ok... you may consider it. PPl have cars sitting in sheds for 20 years and still ok. I bought 20ft 1997 Larson b/r 4 years ago, after 2 years of no use and stored outside. Needed starter clean/lube. 1st try and worked like a charm. You never know. It depends how it was kept. Beside the battery you can expect some carb cleaning, not 100% but very likely, oxidized connectors (!), starter issues... if boat worth checking out, why not? You have time to make the final decision.