Please Help Annoying Pin Required to Back Up Trailer???

lemaysanch

Recruit
OK So I purchased my 23ft Sea Pro a couple of months back with a Magic Trail trailler that looks to be in very good shape.

Only problem is that other owner gave me a little screw and told me that every time I want to back up the trailer, I need to place the screw inside a little hole on the front part of the trailer to allow the breaks to release and the trailer to back up. In fact, if I try to backup without the little screw, the breaks would activate and I would not be able to move trailer. Why must I have this screw there?

I noticed that when the screw is in place, I can move the trailer forward as well with no problem....must WHY then didn't the other owner leave the screw i that hole stuck there for good....I am afraid if i Find a more durable way to leave the screw I would damage something if I back up...

Am I making sense? What is this? It is really annoying to have to get off car and put screw everytime I back up.

Thanks

geeco1

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Please Help Annoying Pin Required to Back Up Trailer???

I am not an expert, but perhaps I can shed some light until someone with better knowledge responds.

It sounds like your trailer has surge brakes. What this means is when you start slowing down, the trailer hitch pushes against the tow ball on your vehicle. When the trailer hitch feels the pressure of the pushing, it activates the brakes, thus slowing down the trailer and it no longer pushes your vehicle. When you back-up, your vehicle puts pressure against the trailer hitch, in the same fashion as the trailer hitch puts pressure against your vehicle when trying to stop. Without the screw, the trailer thinks that you are stopping and thus, applies the brakes. The screw de-activates the brakes to allow backing. If you leave the screw in, then your brakes will be inoperable while towing. Make sure that you remove the screw/pin before heading out on the road.

HappierWet

Master Chief Petty Officer

Sounds like some kind of brake lockout. You put it in to backup and the brakes don't apply. If you leave it in while towing down the road the brakes won't apply either though. Think about the forces applied to the hitch during these two very different exercises.....pulling and then stopping versus pushing the trailer backwards. Think about how the leverage is applied to the tongue and hitch.:cool:

TBarCYa

Senior Chief Petty Officer

It sounds like your trailer has surge brakes which are activated when the trailer puts pressure on the hitch ball. When you're backing up, the hitch ball puts pressure on the tongue and activates the brakes so the screw is there to prevent the brakes from activating. If you leave it in all of the time, your trailer brakes will not work.

I have the same type of brakes on my trailer and I have never used the lockout despite backing the trailer up a slight incline to get it in the driveway. You can try it without the screw and the only thing that may happen is that the brakes will activate and it won't move or you won't put enough pressure to activate the brakes and it will reverse just fine.

lemaysanch

Recruit

Guys thanks a lot...you understand perfectly what's going on. I wanted to verify other people have had this type of break system too. I though it was a mechanical error on my trailer.

It appears as though I will have to bear with this annoyance for-ever. If I don't put the screw in the little hole 90% of the times the trailer will not back up, it would just break and stay. And, as you all said if I leave the screw permantly the breaks wont work....

Sucks for me...it is really hard sometimes match the screw inside the hole, so at times I have to back up and go forward until i see the clearance for the screw....Um...sucks!

QC

Supreme Mariner

You can also buy a brake lockout device which is the right way to do this now. Not all trailers were setup this way when disc brakes first became popular. I believe all of them use something similar now. You will also have to convert from a four pin wiring harness to a five pin which uses your car's reverse lights to activate the lockout. They work perfectly . . .

21kz345.jpg

SNye45

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have the same problem with my surge brakes. Especially when you are alone it can be frustrating trying to inching the tow vehicle forward until the "lockout hole" is uncovered

I find it easier to straddle the hitch and put my back against the winch post. It is only a matter of thrusting back using my legs muscles that I can push the trailer back enough so that the hole is uncovered

windsors03cobra

Lieutenant Junior Grade

When Dad and I are moving boats for boat storage I tend to think those little keys are the devil. :cool:

wwcj101

Seaman Apprentice

one good thing is you probably dont have to put it in backing down the ramp. no presure

Boatist

Rear Admiral

Just buy and install the reverse lock out solenoid as QC said. As soon as you put the vehicle in reverse the solenoid lock out the brakes. When you put it back in drive the brakes again work. Wire the solenoid to to your back up lights and your never have to get out at all to back up. Works very well.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

What hasn't been mentioned, is leaving the pin in means you have no brakes going down the road. The secret to handling the pin installation issue is to stop, put the tow vehicle in reverse and then release the foot brake and step on it again quickly. The brief rearward movement of the trailer pulls the coupler outward and you can now insert the pin. This works on flat ground or a rear facing downward slope. If you stop facing downhill, you will need to block the trailer wheels to extend the coupler. The brake lockout solenoid is a solution to the entire issue -- which I personally don't consider a problem as it takes just a few seconds to insert the pin and there is always a spot where you can stop facing uphill.

QC

Supreme Mariner

If you leave the screw in, then your brakes will be inoperable while towing.
This was above Silvertip, but you're right, probably not emphasized enough!!!

captharv

Petty Officer 2nd Class

get on Magic Tilts website, and get their customer service person on the phone. They have parts available thru them.
Is your trailer equipped with disk or drum brakes? uaually, drum brakes are free backing. Usually, disk brakes have the above mentioned reverse solenoid installed. I have a magic tilt with disks and it came with the solenoid. I cut off that anoying little 4 pin rubber trailer plug and put on a 7 pin RV plug. The reverse signal was on this plug in the vehicle as part of the tow package.
Works very well, as I have to back up a slope on grass to put the boat into the back yard. Have not tore up the grass, yet.
PS: They are very good trailers.