Trim not working

geeco1

Petty Officer 1st Class
Ok, so I had the boat out this weekend and everything seemed to be working just fine. However when I pulled the boat out, the motor did not seem to want to go all of the way up. Once I got it out, I couldn't trim the motor down to rest on the MotorToter. I could hear the trim motor spinning, but no movement. I tried to push the motor down while my son activated the trim switch, but it wouldn't budge. I haven't had the chance to investigate yet, but does this sound like it is just low on trim oil? How often does this oil need to be refilled?

pnwboat

Rear Admiral
Re: Trim not working

Sounds like maybe the pump/valve assy. has gone bad.

foodfisher

Captain

Check the level, fill it up and cross your fingers. If it doesn't recover introduce yourself to Rritt.

RRitt

Captain

up but not down and trim motor is spinning?

that's an odd one. My guess would be wallowed out trim cover causing trim piston to misalign and jam.

geeco1

Petty Officer 1st Class

I pulled the fill cap off and put some oil in. It now seems to work fine. Couple of questions here..... The PO gave me hydraulic jack oil to use..... is that the correct type of oil? How do I know how full to fill it? After filling, I cycled the motor up/down a couple of times, then when I pulled the fill plug back off, the oil was bubbly. Is that normal?

I do see a leak on the bottom of the lift cylinder. I can't tell yet if it is from the fitting or something else.

Sorry for the ignorance.... I have never had a boat with power tilt... I was always the power and the tilt.:D

foodfisher

Captain

I think jack oil is prefered. In any event, match what's already in use. Motor in running position it's full when it won't take any more. The air bubbles may have been the initial problem. Up and down it till no more bubbles and refill. Hope the leak is the fitting. Be REALLY careful tightening it. Strip the alum. threads and you've got probs.

RRitt

Captain

jack oil is great if your system can handle it. A lot of prestolite systems buck if the oil is too thin.

something odd with your system. as it retracts the fluid level goes up in reservoir. It should be impossible to run out of fluid on the downstroke. If it was my boat then i would be glad it is working but would not rest easy until I figured out why it had problems in first place. Otherwise it will just happen again ... and again.