Bilge pump types & recommendations

W_Guy

Petty Officer 2nd Class
My old wooden boat leaks pretty bad now, so until I can fix it, I need an automatic bilge pump. Some I've found use a float switch, some use an electronic sensor, and some automatically turn on every 2.5min to check for a drag on the impeller. I'm asking for the good points or bad points for each of these types.
Right now, the boat won't stay in the water for any length of time without me in it, but eventually it will, so what are the experienced recommendations?
Thanks in advance
Verne;)

BigJ08

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Bilge pump types & recommendations

Float switch, but I would get your leaking problem worked out ASAP!

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Verne, I have had all three types (built in mechanical switch, seperate switch, cycle every 3 min). I like the cycle every three minutes type. It is the only pump that keeps my bilge bone dry.

I have had several pumps with the built in mechanical switch. They work pretty good, but the swtiches break for some reason.

The ones with the seperate switches work OK, but sometimes stuff gets under the switch and props it in the on position.

redone4x4

Lieutenant Commander

rule 800 gph automatic. turns on every 2.5 min, and its on sale at iboats if you call them. works great, i love mine and the draw on the battery is minimal

Yreka

Seaman Apprentice

How long do the automatics stay on for if there is no water present ?

Seems like it would be annoying hearing the pump kick on every 2.5min, especially if fishing.

salty87

Commander

the biggest rule you can afford with built-in float switch. what size is your dishcharge hose/fitting? that can limit you unless you want to upgrade that too.

mine doesn't turn on every 2.5 mins. that would get annoying to me.

yreka...my auto only stays on for about 10 secs once the water level gets low enough.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

keep in mind this is a rowboat. Do you even have a battery in it? I rigged a flaot switch to a D battery sump pump that worked right well for a small boat.

Get the float switch seperate from the pump, and get the kind that's in a protective box so nothing can fall on it.

I can't see a battery lasting a few days if the pump goes on an off every 2.5 minutes. Do the math over 48 hours; that's a lot.

WAVENBYE2

Lieutenant Commander

Seems like it would be annoying hearing the pump kick on every 2.5min, especially if fishing.

I would rather be annoyed a little bit then sinking and have to drag te boat out of the water with a tow truck:D

redone4x4

Lieutenant Commander

its about 1 second. and when theres no water, you cant hear the pump kick on. I like mine, it was a good deal, and it fit in the same spot as my little 360 gph was.

Yreka

Seaman Apprentice

I would rather be annoyed a little bit then sinking and have to drag te boat out of the water with a tow truck:D

Well, there are other alternatives besides no pump at all :D

I was really just curious if it was audible or not.. If so, it would make more sense ( for me ) to get an automatic with a built in switch.

Yreka

Seaman Apprentice

its about 1 second. and when theres no water, you cant hear the pump kick on. I like mine, it was a good deal, and it fit in the same spot as my little 360 gph was.

Cool, I kinda figured, I can't imagine them selling too well otherwise. Just wanted to make sure, after reading the description of those types from the MFG I envisioned the equivalent of flipping my manual bilge on for 10sec or so every couple minutes.

I would sink the boat myself if I had to listen to that :p

redone4x4

Lieutenant Commander

Cool, I kinda figured, I can't imagine them selling too well otherwise. Just wanted to make sure, after reading the description of those types from the MFG I envisioned the equivalent of flipping my manual bilge on for 10sec or so every couple minutes.

I would sink the boat myself if I had to listen to that :p

ya, like i said its only 1 second, not bad at all. if im in the engine compartment or getting something out from under the seats, i can hear it, but other than that, i forget its there. i forgot what the draw is, but its very, very minimal on the battery also.

werthert

Petty Officer 1st Class

Is it possible just to not go on the water until the boat is repaired? Pumps can always fail, etc. Would hate to be in a sinking boat? IMO a bilge pump is not the right answer. Am I right in reading that people count on their pumps as part of normal operation? As in their boat knowingly takes on craploads of water thus the pump is the fix?

No offense just trying to understand.

W_Guy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The boat is stored in another state so I travel there every so often to enjoy it. I won't have the time or place to repair it properly in the near future, so I planned on using a pump to get more enjoyment out of it while I can. IF the pump should fail, I have a manual pump but it takes the enjoyment out of a day on the lake. The boat has a battery and a charging system on the motor. I don't plan on leaving it sit still for very long so I'm not that concerned about battery drain.
From all the comments I've read, I'm leaning toward one with a float, either built in or separate. Any other thoughts would be appreciated.
Verne;)