no spark 1994 evinrude 150

mossyoak

Recruit
i have a 1994 evinrude 150 was out on the water with it everything was fine until the low oil horn came on so i got it back to the ramp pulled it out got it home put oil in it and this week put it back in couldnt get it to start keeps turning over pulled the plugs nothing no spark on any , tried to pull the red harnest apart and tried to bypass it but still no spark at all could it be the power pack please help? fred

jonesg

Admiral
Re: no spark 1994 evinrude 150

Kill switch?
main fuse next to the red harness plug?

mossyoak

Recruit

i looked at the fuse looks good would that fuse have anything to do with no spark? i disconnected the black and yellow wire still nothing thanks fred

jonesg

Admiral

I have a 1994 150 hp too, should be simple to track down the trouble.

1.remove plugs connect a spark gap tester to a plug wire.(leave other plugs on wires touching block)

2.Disconnect the boat side harness and connect a remote starter unit(or use a small jumper wire). Check for spark. If the engine has spark, check the boat side harness's black/yellow wire for shorts to ground.

3.Disconnect the 5-pin connector on the port side of the power pack and see if the spark returns. If it does, use the fluke meter set to ohms and see if the black/yellow wires are shorted to engine ground.

4.Check the battery voltage on the yellow/red striped wire while cranking the engine. If below 11 volts, charge the battery or check all battery cables.
Yellow/red wire has to see 12v , it provides power to the optical ignition during cranking, below 11v you will not get spark, this wire is only live during cranking, its like a bypass. Look for corrosion omn terminals (battery/coils)

5.Remove the sensor wheel and check for damage, especially where the top slots are located. Sometimes the wheels will break out where the windows overlap.

6.Check the sensor eyes for dirt, grease and the like. If you need to clean it, use denatured alcohol and a Q-tip. Do not use any other cleaning agent because damage to the optical lens will occur.

7.Disconnect the voltage regulator/rectifier and retest. If the engine now has spark, replace the regulator/rectifier.

SparkieBoat

Captain

wow nice post Jones. Very thorough. Almost deserves to be a sticky :):)
Sparkie

mossyoak

Recruit

thanks jones
you are very thorough i will try this step by step i will let you know thanks a lot fred