Salt water vs Fresh water. Who has it best?

Salt water vs Fresh water. Who has it best?

• Total voters

jdlough

Master Chief Petty Officer
I'm at the Chesapeake Bay, MD - salt water.

Yeah, I sometimes envy the river/lake guys for their lack of corrosion, no tide headaches, apparently sometimes better boating community 'neighborhoods', and lack of fear of "Jaws" eating them. (Plus, some recent posts rearranged my mind a bit - I didn't realize how BIG some freshwater places could be.)

But, I think, over all, I like living on the 'edge'. Even if I'm only in the Bay, I kinda like that I take that occasional opening into the real ocean. I kinda like being a guy that has to be so in tune with this planet that I need to check the tides before going out. I must admit, though, that I do think a bit about "Jaws" before the kids jump off of the swim platform.

So, salt vs fresh. Pros - Cons? Any secret envies for the 'other side'?

Jim

grahamh

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Salt water vs Fresh water. Who has it best?

I prefer fresh water, mostly because my boat is fairly small, so you get sprayed with water every now and then. Fresh water dries and it's fine, but salt water leaves the nasty salt residue behind.

That said, I do almost all of my boating in salt water, simply because I live in the SF Bay Area, so freshwater is a bit more of a drive.

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,... I live up here on the end of the Sweetwater Seas,... Lake Ontario...

I miss the Seafood from the salt off Maine,... But that's about it....

I like being able to Fix my boat without fighting the Corrosion...

tmfd

Petty Officer 2nd Class

This is a no brainer for me. How could anyone prefer corrosion, weird sea creatures, the awful taste, the SALT! its terrible. Now, take Lake Michigan and the huge surrounding waterways. Teeming with fish, none of which will attack and eat you, fresh clear clean water. So much better for the body and the boat.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

i completely enjoy both. Salt water a good rinse down everytime you use it, cuts the maintenance trememdously. i will be in the Keys this week, boat docked, but will be rinsed down every evening, and covered. 10 year old boat with no corrosion.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

As a fisherman and someone who grew up on the Chesapeake, I can't think of anywhere I'd rather be than here.

The changing of tides, the change of the seasons, feeding fish busting bait on the surface, flocks of migrating birds overhead and schools of migrating fish under your feet are all part of the way of life in the Land of Pleasant living.

As any years as I?ve spent on that body of water I still have to stop from time to time just to admire natures work.

BTW: The seas belong to its inhabitants. If I want to go swimming I head out back to the pool.

skargo

Banned

I'm at the head of the Chesapeake, which I would call freshwater, as it's 99% fresh. I like it up here, no salt, no Jelly Fish, still miles and miles of beautiful water to explore.

I'm in the 0-10 ppt salinity area.

chesbay.gif

Rogue427

Petty Officer 1st Class

Fresh is the best. JMHO Its just to far for me to go for salt water. We have many lakes and rivers a short distance away and Green Bay. The great lakes are close also. Are season is short, 3 months if we are lucky.

This_lil_fishy

Master Chief Petty Officer

Us too, but I really miss the FRESH seafood from living in BC, and the fishing was always awesome. The type of fish you could catch was always changing. It was good times...

That said, I am WAY too lazy to maintain a saltwater boat. After full day of boating in fresh water, I trailer it, pull the plug, open the engine hatch and toss it in the garage. I give her a good wash down the next weekend or just before going out again...the good life.

Ian

wildspeed

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Personally enjoy both.

Fresh water for water sports and fishing,
Salt water for fishing and cruising around

Of course that does help when you have so much different body of water to choose from....

Super_8_Winter_Haven_Fl-Winter_Have.gif

windsors03cobra

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I've never boated on salt water but must say I absolutely love Lake Michigan and living 2 minutes from a great and way reasonable $/free launch is what made me want and buy a boat.
I've used some of our smaller local inland lakes and they kinda suck, bad launches, more drinking folks and usually crowded, the exact opposite of Michigan which is why I prefer Michigan. Very cold waters tho.

Truly a "Great" lake. :cool:

highN'dry

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Fresh water is for rinsing, salt water is for boating, diving, fishing, exploring.

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

I'd look really stupid dragging tuna feathers in Lake Okeechobee..

Salt water hands down...The variety of fish..the bays, the dolphins..

I have never heard of a LAKEman..SEAman, well.....:D

puddle jumper

Captain

I to like both but the salt water fish taste so much better. As for salt water maintenance its not that bad if you stay on top of it.

Les Robb

Chief Petty Officer

I'm amazed by the people who picked fresh water over salt, and I wonder if they ever experienced salt in the south, ie Florida and the keys and best of all the islands of the Bahama's. I did spend a little time on the beach in New Jersey, and yeah it was cold and tough to fish from shore, but still better than my catfish pond in Georgia. Oh well if it wasn't for opinions this forum probably wouldn't exsist.

Salt or fresh enjoy it all ya'll

grahamh

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I voted fresh water, but I think a lot depends on where you are. When I lived in Hawaii, all we had was saltwater, and it was great (the same would probably be true for Florida and the Bahamas)

Now that I live in the SF Bay Area, salt water is still the only option unless I want to drive an hour, but it's not nearly as nice when it's cold and windy.

Also, it should be noted that salt water boating in bays is quite different than boating in the open ocean. I'd love to do more open ocean boating, but my boat is not really adequate for large swells.

RotaryRacer

Lieutenant

Fresh. What can I say. I have lived surrounded by the largest collection of fresh water in the world for most of my life. The only other place I lived was Florida. I didn't see the appeal.

wyocobra

Seaman Apprentice

Seeing as I live in Wyoming and I'm thousands of miles from salt water, I picked fresh.:D

triumphrick

Lieutenant Commander

I cannot remember the last time I went saltwater fishing and did not catch something...
Sure can't say that about all the lakes and the great freshwater fishing Florida has; I have been skunked many a time.
The variety of the saltwater fishing just a half hour from our house still amazes me. We are less than an hour North of Tampa (where I grew up) and have so many different species to target....and catch.
Also someone mentioned the taste of saltwater fish..to me it is much better than freshwater. All freshwater fish seem to taste the same.
We use salt-away products to clean our boat, motors and gear and really don't have corrosion issues.
I guess you know what I voted for.....:D

dan t.

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Fresh water is for rinsing, salt water is for boating, diving, fishing, exploring.

I agree 100%,I find fresh water sterile and kind of boring after 15 years in the salt.:D