1965 40 hp johnson shift problem

glasspar Russ

Recruit
I have a 40 horse johnson took it to the lake and the motor went out of gear and wouldnt go forward it will go into reverse and neutral. this motor is electric shift also when you put in in forward the amp meter pegs to the left -20 dont know what is wrong here any help would be great thanks.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1965 40 hp johnson shift problem

I have a 40 horse johnson took it to the lake and the motor went out of gear and wouldnt go forward it will go into reverse and neutral. this motor is electric shift also when you put in in forward the amp meter pegs to the left -20 dont know what is wrong here any help would be great thanks.

We would spend all day guessing if you had not supplied that tid-bit of information about the ammeter. It is obvious that the forward wire (green) is shorted to ground somewhere between the shift switch in the control and the forward clutch magnet in the lower unit. Now that you know that, your task is to examine it till you find where it is grounding out.

glasspar Russ

Recruit

I took apart lower end and found the coil in the rear with green wire in pretty rough shape can this be replaced and if so were can I get parts for the engine it is model # RKL26R

Daviet

Fleet Admiral

You are probably going to have to go the salvage yard route. I do not have a parts manual for that engine to find a part number for you. Maybe some one will come along with more info.