2001 Mercruiser 4.3 Needed 2 quarts of oil

pcrater

Recruit
Hi,

I just registered to the iboat forum. I like what everybody has to say. Thank you.

I have a 2001 Mercruiser 4.3L. I just changed the engine oil about 10 hours ago. Today I needed to add 2 quarts of oil. It is not smoking and there doesn't seem to by any oil in the bilge. I did see a very small amount of oil on the engine block (below the flame arrestor - back right corner).

Any ideas???

Thanks

TowRoper

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 2001 Mercruiser 4.3 Needed 2 quarts of oil

did you change the filter also?

pcrater

Recruit

thanks for the reply

yes. i did change the filter. i double checked to make sure it was tight.

TowRoper

Petty Officer 1st Class

welcome to iboats BTW, when you say 10 ago do you mean 10 hrs of run time?
may want to check your plugs to see if there showing any sign of oil fouling even if its running good if it really did just vanish on you I'm thinking the filter just took allot or blow by or valve seals? an oil cooler will take a bit to fill also but not looking into the engine is hard to say there are loads of people on here with tons of experience that will help find this problem.

Maclin

Admiral

How much oil was put in during the last oil change? If 5qts or so then it had to go somewhere, and leaks that bad would have oil in the bilge and the engine would show a trail somewhere. Also on those engines it seems the dipstick tube is outside the pan and block, plumbed in at the bottom of the oil pan. Again, any problems there would put oil into the bilge. If the bilge is clean then checking the spark plugs would show if one or more cylinders are burning oil.

Maclin

Admiral

Towroper has a point on the oil cooler. If it has one and it is compromised then the oil would go out with the raw water....