Newbie - looking for input on 89 Searay w 135hp Mercury OB

wink21

Cadet
I'm a newbie to boating and looking to get started with a family boat that is good for cruising around small lakes, tubing, waterskiiing and fishing.

I came across this boat:
http://toronto.kijiji.ca/c-cars-veh...a-Ray-Deville-19-bow-rider-W0QQAdIdZ152034809

I have some questions and would appreciate any input:
1. General input on Searay / motor and if $4k is a fair price for a boat like this (assuming it checks out well)
2. Input on:
- what size of engine is ideal for a 19ft boat for pulling skiier's and tubing?
- better to go with inboard or inboard/outboard?

Thanks

Scott

truckermatt

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Newbie - looking for input on 89 Searay w 135hp Mercury OB

if the floor/transom are solid, and the motor runs when you do a on water test.

I think the price is fair then.....

109jb

Lieutenant Commander

I have the 16 foot version of that boat. Mine has a 115 hp Mariner. The boat advertised is a Seville 18 BR outboard. Sea Ray called it an 18 foot even though with the swim platform it is closer to 19 foot. Just like mine is a 16 foot, but measures almost 17 foot with the swim platform. If the boat really is as clean as the ad says then I would say that price is decent. Some things to note: Although Sea Ray is a good brand, these were the bottom line boats that they marketed that year. They have wood in them and if not maintained will still rot like any other. If maintained they will be fine like any other. The ad says "new floor and carpet". This would make me a little suspicious. Jus how was the "new" floor put in. Look in the ski locker and bilge area to see if the new floor was just laid on top of the old. If it was then walk away. My 16 foot seville I am just finishing up a floor replacement and it is a great handling boat and really moves. My 16 foot with 115 hp tops out about 54 mph on the speedo with 2 on-board. Haven't done a GPS check yet, but it has plenty of power to pull a skier. 135 on the 18 foot seville should be plenty too..

wink21

Cadet

Boat was listed yesterday AM and sold just after I posted this.

Guess I'm at least learning what to look out for. Might be back for some other feedback on the next find. Appreciate the input!!

can-amsledder

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I?m guessing you are from the Toronto area. You should check out some of the boats south of the border. Some are getting cheap and the exchange is good for you now too.

CLICK THE LINK>>>http://buffalo.craigslist.org/boa/