Boat lists to port when cruising.

Aquasport's Guy

Recruit
I have a 17.5? Aquasport Osprey with a 90 hrs Johnson outboard. When cruising at medium to fast speeds, the boat lists to the port side. When stopped and at slow speeds, the boat is level. Anyone out there have a theory and corrective measure to my boat listing at medium & high speeds?

Tiki35

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: Boat lists to port when cruising.

I had the exact same issue. The only real options are too drastically distribute the weight or to install trim tabs. I chose Bennett's hydraulic trim tabs which solves the problem completely.

QC

Supreme Mariner

It is caused by prop torque and is very common. Prop twists right, boat twists left. Without helm adjustable tabs as Tiki has mentioned, you should set her up to list slightly to starboard at rest. Trim can make a big difference as well.

rbh

Fleet Admiral

that motor/prop of yours could be the issue, maybe the torque is pulling you over?
ok to slow on the enter key:rolleyes:
rob

Last edited:

Jdeagro

iboats.com Partner

Are you using a Hydrofoil? If so remove it. Also make sure you are trimming the motor up when cruising. Driving the bow down too much will cause the boat to be prone to lists as the boat rides on the keel too far forward.

Aquasport's Guy

Recruit

Thanks very much for all your responses. I'll experiment more with trimming the motor and look into installing trim tabs.

trophyman

Seaman Apprentice

Has anything been installed on the hull of the boat. Years ago I Installed a fishfinder transducer on the transome of my boat and it acted like a trim tab tilting the boat at high speed. I epoxied it to the hull inside the bilge and problem solved. Just a thought.