Just bought a 63 Niagara

Hi all! I'm new to the forum and looking forward to sharing adventures with the 63 Niagara I just bought. My dad had a boat just like this one that we used to fish out of when I was a little girl.

The boat is in beautiful shape, clean, new gas tanks, new battery and case, trolling motor, 4 new seats, cover, and a 65 Johnson 30hp Super Sea Horse motor. The trailer is a 1957 Gator tilt trailer....original color was yellow with red wheels, imagine that!

I'm kind of concerned about the new seats, we haven't had the chance to take the boat out, but the seats are on pedestals and the previous owner who just installed them used the metal spring anchors you use for hollow walls. The seats are bass pro and I imagine he bought the pedestals there too, there are 4 screw holes and the base plate is probably around 6'square. Would you be concerned that these may rip out of the fiberglass floor? I was thinking about either building boxes to add support to the seats or buying large diameter PVC to slip over the pedestal.

Another question is about the steering cable, it is still solid but the casing around it is ratty. I've seen posts to the group about using a different type of steering mechanism...should I replace the cable or install a different steering system? Any advice would be greatly appreciated and I will soon post pictures!!

I just love the boat, it has such class and fond memories of my younger days. You all have done beautiful work on your boats and your passion inspires me!
Thanks,
Linda

Re: Just bought a 63 Niagara

Here are some pics

Attachments

• boat1.jpg
    boat1.jpg
    6.8 KB · Views: 2
  • boat2.jpg
    boat2.jpg
    8.5 KB · Views: 2
  • boat3.jpg
    boat3.jpg
    10.2 KB · Views: 2

Landscaping Wiz 808

Chief Petty Officer

Hi Linda,

That's a cool little Niagra you have there! What you forgot to mention was whether or not the current seats are solidly installed or not. If not, then it's time to rip them out and make things the way you want them to be. Those metal spring anchors (drywall anchors) actually seem to be the preferred way to install pedestal seats. I had to cut a few off and now I worry about them rattling around below the deck, but if the seats are solid I don't see any reason to temp fate...besides, the current seats look GREAT!!:D

More boat info is requested..................

BOB

Thanks so much for your reply Bob and I'm glad you like her! Yes, the seats seem solid, I was just worried that once we were out on the waves rocking around I'd end up with a hole in my floor. You put my mind at ease.

What would you like to know, I'm anxious to brag about her! The couple we bought the boat from were originally going to keep it for themselves, thus all the new goodies (I forgot to mention earlier that they threw in a nice new trolling motor on top of everything else). I was amazed at how clean the boat was. The two ski holders are rotted but I can fix that, thinking about replacing the old wood with cedar and coat it with sparthane. The lights on the boat do not work but it could be the bulbs- the clear light is missing a bulb the red and green light on the bow may be burned out. The dash is drilled for a fish finder so we are hoping we can replace it with one that uses the same holes!

There is a little soft spot in the transom, right where the outboard clamps on in back. The corners are strong, it's just soft in the middle there. For the rest of the year we are just going to put a piece of marine grade plywood, sealed with exterior kilz, under the clamp to give it extra support. I do see Seacast in my future. I'm not going to let that get me down though, she's beautiful all in all.

The engine runs great. The previous owner just put a new carb kit in and had the engine sitting in a trough of water, started right up, no sputtering or stalling. After it ran for about a minute the engine started exhausting water like it should. Offered to run a compression test on it for us. He just did an oil change in the lower unit. It's a little smokey, but it could be the mix is too rich or the new carb needs adjusting. The engine is a 65. One of these days we'll get a used 4 cycle motor, I'd just feel better about using a cleaner engine.

The trailer is so cool! It's an old Gator from 1957 with those bubble dome chromed hubcaps LOL. We need to get one of those clamp on wheels for the front of it....until I get better backing that sucker up anyway! But even with the boat on it's light enough to pick up the nose of the trailer and hitch or unhitch.

I just love the boat, we had looked at several, want to fish off of it but we didn't really want just a fishing boat. The previous owners put two nice rod holders and fishing pole clamps on the sides and there is plenty of room inside for gear, cooler and whatever else you want to take. I may take the two back seats off and turn them to face backward, depends on if it's just a matter of the seat....not messing with the pedestal! I'd like to refinish the light blue figerglass on the top, the guy did a nice job on the hull. What is the best thing to use to get the color back and seal it?

Oh, and it still has the dang cigarette lighter! I was amazed. Best part about it? We paid $650 for the whole thing!!
Linda

pduquette

Ensign

Way cool ride linda ! I have pedestals too - I'd recomend swivels under the seats so you can turn to fight your fish or watch a skier etc . BTW I've got a plywood floor as the previous owner tore everything out:(
Where do you wet your keel ??? peter

Attachments

• 07-30-06_0655.jpg
    07-30-06_0655.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 2
  • rearseats.jpg
    rearseats.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 2

Love your boat Peter, what model is it? I didn't know I could add swivels, thought they either came with the seat or you were stuck without them LOL. That's a good idea, I'll have to look for some because that would be the ticket.

I'm in the Brookville area of Indiana, near Brookville Reservoir, there's the Bischoff Reservoir up the road in Batesville but the whole lake is no wake, Hogan Creek and Tanners Creek are nice tributaries off the Ohio River. Mostly we will be fishing out of the boat. I can promise you this, the first time I try to launch the boat will be probably around midnight when nobody is around!! I'd be nervous to take the boat out on the actual Ohio River until I get used to it on the smaller bodies of water.

I forgot to ask, what is the best way to patch old screw holes in the floor? Looks like where original seats may have been mounted, didn't know if I should just put silicone in them or what.

thanks for the ideas!
Linda

pduquette

Ensign

My MFG is a 1961 Oxford . A sister ship to yours , but 14' 10" long . the swivels should mount easily between the post and seat. I'd rough up arround the holes and fill with a long strand fiberglass filler , smooth , and paint . If you do think you want to go retro with the seats in the future then a high quality silicone or 3m 4200 would seal it too .
These boats are easy to launch - the light weight makes it easy to trailer / un-trailer and they cut through the waves well too ! peter

Alright guys, the maiden voyage of my little boat has been postponed, dang it. I knew the transom was a little soft and after a painful debate...should I shouldn't I, I decided to yank off the aluminum channel and take a look. UGH!! It was a bad sign when I didn't even need a screw driver to take out the center screws. Well, it looked like mulch...not kidding mulch ( I did mulch my rose bush with that stuff).

There's about 2 inches of wet wood left in the bottom and I still need to work some more on my corners. My knuckles are bloody, looks like someone took a sander to my forearms but my hopes are high. Hopefully, next weekend I can pour the Seacast. Can anyone tell me how many gallons it will take? I know I need to get the roving, tuck one layer inside and lay one across the top. Does anyone have any tips, suggestions, helpful hints?

Also, I had been worried about the seat pedestals. The guy we bought the boat from said he used the spring toggles. Well, I got a closer look and he used those dang blue plastic dry wall anchors. So I'm going to replace those and I think I'm going to put a washer between the pedestal base and the screw head.

I still am in love with the boat and don't regret buying her, we got a good deal. I'm amazed at how wet the wood still is in the bottom. You can actually squeeze water out. The water has gotten in thru the top, I noticed the outside ply of fiberglass had popped out from under the edge of that aluminum channel, now I realize it's because the soft spot was making the piece of fiberglass bow.

Thanks!
Linda

Landscaping Wiz 808

Chief Petty Officer

Hopefully, next weekend I can pour the Seacast. Can anyone tell me how many gallons it will take? I know I need to get the roving, tuck one layer inside and lay one across the top. Does anyone have any tips, suggestions, helpful hints?

Hi Linda - I realize this may be too late if you've already poured it, but if not here's the formula Seacast came up with to determine how much you'll need. Disregard the numbers I put in as they're from a different boat than yours.

I tried to scan it in earlier but my old computer crashed and burned (gotta love Vista), and my new computer won't recognize my old printer, and blah, blah, blah! Long story short, I took a picture of the page in question - see below. let me know if you can't see it.

Don't get persuaded, once your Niagra is up to speed again it will last another 50+ years with minimal maintenance. :D Oh yeah, there seems to be a major lack of progress pictures........:)

BOB

001-2.jpg

a70eliminator

Captain

On those seats, get rid of the wall anchors whatever style they are, get a piece of fiberglass board about 1/4" thick, cut it to fit across the deck side to side slightly wider than your seat bases, taper the edges down sharp and epoxie it into place then use some fiberglass mat to seal up the edges, putting the taper edge along the length will make it nice to glass down and make a neat appearance, you do not want to skimp on mounting those pedistals, adding the fibergalss or plywood board will distribute the weight across the deck and give you something to anchor the base to. Use all stainless hardware.

C_hab420

Cadet

I have a 66 MFG Edinboro and I just replaced the transom.In addition I have done 4 this summer on other boats.In my honest opinion I would stay away from seacast.Ive seen the stuff crack and turn to powder a couple times and its easy to get air bubbles in the thick mixture of recycled fiberglass you have to add.I use Nidacore or Arjay transom filler.They are the exact same material.both are made by Arjay but nidacore just buys it and repackages it.In most cases its easier to get Nidacore locally rather then spend $55 a pail for shipping.Its also way stronger and more flexible and so much easier to pour in the transom and to work with in general.Whenever I refer to seacast in conversation, it involuntarily comes out as SEACRAP.Hope this helps.

Mark_VTfisherman

Lieutenant

Hi, Linda. Congrats on the boat!

Coupla thoughts.
1: I am not sure but your MFG may be a '65, not a '63. Check those old brochures out... the light on the bow is an indicator. Also, prior to '65 Niagara's were fourteen foot along the gunwale. Mine meaures 13'8" bow-to-stern down the centerline. I may be wrong- memory doesn't serve me as well as it used to. But I think I may be right. No I am not quoting Billy Joel :eek:

2: The pedestal seats: I screwed my 13-inch pedestals directly to the fiberglass floorwith #8 screws- no toggle bolts. That was 1994 or 1995. Meant it to be temporary but I never got back to it. They lasted 15 years without a problem. Recently, a guest teenager sat in my seat at the helm, put his feet on the gunwale, and pushed back, commenting it was too bad the seats did not recline. Suddenly he shrieked- it ripped two screws right out the floor. The other two held, but the steel flange bent. No prob- I bent it back and they make bigger screws every day! In summary, the plastic anchors should go, but toggles straight to the floor will hold up a long time if #8 stainless screws held up...under normal use and rough water anyway:D

3. The factory seat mounting holes: mine were all 7/16" diameter, with rubber "well nuts" in them. I got sick of looking at them so I pulled (or drove out) all that hadn't come out on their own. Then I got white plastic hole caps/inserts from the hardware store and inserted them with 5200 sealant. That was in 2002. I have not had to replace one of them.

4. Transom: Something about a pour-in-place "fix" bothers me. I used 2x12 lumber in mine; cut out the inner transom fiberglass, inserted the treated 2x12s cut to fit, and 'glassed the inner transom back in. If the plywood from the factory lasted 35 years, under my loving care the repair will last long enough that it will probably outlast me. Even if I have to do it again, twice in a lifetime won't be bad. My 2 cents...

5. Seriously- congratulations on the boat. I understand your sentimental reason for being drawn to it. One of my daughters gets it too: she has forbade me to ever sell mine. I have to leave it to her. I don't feel too close to death yet but... JK :) I am not offended. I wish MY dad had a boat! (i've got my grandfather's landing net:)

I posted another thread, no responses...thought you all left me high and dry LOL! I've been working working working, have all the wood out of the transom, it was a mess, only ran into a couple more solid spots. The two bottom thru hull pipes were corroded and in working the wood out I crushed them. A neighbor friend of mine who is a retired machinist milled two new ones out of brass, nice and shiny very pretty.

Thanks for sending the estimate formula, I ordered and received 5 gallons, afraid now that I won't have enough. I believe the wooden boat shop here in Cincinnati carries it but I will double check with the chart before I get started. Now I'm concerned about the Seacrap post!! I had felt confident about it until now. Whatever I'm going to do I have to do soon because I think the minimum temp for Seacast is 70 degrees, already our nights are too cool, going to have to be now or never. I don't want to wait until next summer. Has anyone else had this stuff turn to powder?? Another question, does the boat which is sitting on the trailer have to be perfectly level before pouring the Seacast? I still haven't decided on how to do the corners, marine plywood or build a form for the Seacast.

Forgive me for not remembering who posted what, I'm trying to reply to all by memory! Our boat still has the little metal tag on it and I'm almost positive it says 1963, I'll have to double check. The paperwork on the engine states that it is a 1965 Johnson Super Sea Horse...thought that was the original engine. I'll check it out and report back!

I had to laugh at the image of the now reclining seat, that's what I'm afraid of! I'm going to go with the toggles to anchor the pedestals down. That yours have lasted has given me hope. I like the idea of the floor plugs too, will pick some up at HD.

Looks like we are going to have to rewire the boat, thinking about just running the lights to a toggle switch mounted on the dash. We'd like to keep the original bow light but the lenses won't stay in and I haven't had a chance to really look at it. Seems like there are metal clips that hold the plastic lenses in.

We cracked one of the steering pulley's getting the engine off and the cables are really weathered. Replacing the steering system may be a job for next year though. I'm really looking forward to getting her out on the lake and doing some fishing!!

I promise I will get some pictures this weekend, of the cleaned out transom, the mixing process and pouring process.

Thanks for all your advice, apologies if I forgot to reply to anyone's post, everyone's input is much appreciated!
Linda

Mark_VTfisherman

Lieutenant

.......Looks like we are going to have to rewire the boat, thinking about just running the lights to a toggle switch mounted on the dash. We'd like to keep the original bow light but the lenses won't stay in and I haven't had a chance to really look at it. Seems like there are metal clips that hold the plastic lenses in.....We cracked one of the steering pulley's getting the engine off and the cables are really weathered. Replacing the steering system may be a job for next year though. I'm really looking forward to getting her out on the lake and doing some fishing!!.......Linda

Steering: I have a teleflex "Singlehelm" on mine. It is older (got it used) but not hearing the springs squeak on the cable/pulley system is a beautiful thing. I adapted the original classic-looking steering wheel to it, and painted the bezel white, so it looks oem. Easy to make the change. I filled all the old guide and pulley holes with 5200 which painted nicely but I probably should have used epoxy paste. Then again, the 5200 has held up fine!

Nav light: I used ACE hardware brand "Clear High Tech Sealant" in a caulking to tube to very carefully run a bead around the perimeter of the old glass lenses. The light on my niagara is so un-trick and retro I couldn't imagine swapping it out for a new one! So I glued mine in place with that sealant- it cures up clear and tough, and being clear it is unnoticeable unless you are right up close, plus it lets all the light shine out from the lenses at night. I would suggest that as a fix for yours. Retro over trick is my pick any day.

Wires: I would get a block with switches and circuit breakers and run a new wire from the battery to it. Nothing is fused OEM so it is a nice upgrade I think. Plus lets you add other things not available in the '60s. I like this one but it is not fused. This one is appealing for simplicity and the price it right, but I dislike those 80's-looking switches. My first choice (and one that I will probably adapt to my boat next year) is this one. I like the low power LEDs anyway, but the look is clean and not clunky. Utilitarian, but clean. And the price is still right.

Lovin your boat discussion. Never noticed the other thread. Sorry...

Update with pictures. We poured the first 5 gallons of Seacast on Sunday. Although I was nervous...the prospect of $230 going kaput, it was easy and worked great! We mixed the bucket of epoxy well, added the tubes of hardener, mixed again for 3 minutes then began to add the fiber.

The new thru hull pipes we had machined worked out great and before we poured the Seacast we went around the accessible edges with an industrial hot glue gun.

Before we poured the SC we stuck a wood block in the transom to open the top a little wider. Pouring the stuff is really a two person job so you don't make a mess. After we dumped it in I took a paint stirrer for a 5 gallon bucket and worked it to the bottom of the transom, into the corners and around the thru hull pipes really well to avoid any air pockets. We then tapped on the outside with a mallet as the directions recommend.

I knew we were going to be short, and ended up probably a little over 2 gallons short. To avoid a horizontal seam between the two layers of Seacast we got some long stainless lag bolts and suspended them with fishing line, half in the setting Seacast and half above. Those will tie the two layers of Seacast together better. Don't know if it was necessary, but just wanted to be sure, don't see how it could hurt.

We do have video of the whole mixing and pouring process but I'm not good at getting those off the video camera! Will post those or if anyone wants the video I'm sure with my better half's help we could email you the video.

The Seacast is rock hard, it began to set pretty quick, but not too fast where you are hurrying. The stuff does really heat up. Adheres great to the two fiberglass walls. I can't budge the lag bolts. So far I have to say that it's awesome stuff. We went ahead and ordered another 5 gallon bucket (ordering a two gallon and a one gallon were just as expensive). The smell is a killer though, no wonder we don't have a local marina stock it.

Here are the pics that I have so far.

Attachments

• IMG_1277 (648 x 486) (486 x 364).jpg
    IMG_1277 (648 x 486) (486 x 364).jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 2

More Pics

Attachments

• boatsideview.jpg
    boatsideview.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 2
  • dash.jpg