Bad day, need help (OMC)

grahamh

Petty Officer 2nd Class
So, cutting to the point, I ran the prop into something today, don't know what it was, big rock or something maybe? I was going kind of slow, not on plane, but not idling either.

Anyway, there was a bad noise, and, figuring the prop could still be on something, I stopped the engine.

I pulled up outdrive, and it looked ok except for a gash on the prop.

Then things got bad. I went to start the engine, and it wouldn't start. It would just crank and crank and nothing would happen.

I made it back in (paddling with wakeboards lol, and then a tow)

What could have gone wrong that would cause the engine to not run? The propeller spins freely like it always did. I understand damaging something in the drive, but could/would that stop the motor from running?

It's a 1971 IMP boat with a OMC Stringer drive and a Buick V6. I haven't looked inside yet, I'll get to that tomorrow, but where should I start?

Thanks in advance, and yes, I know I'm an idiot for hitting something.

futz

Banned
Re: Bad day, need help (OMC)

you have a kill switch? it in all the way?

grahamh

Petty Officer 2nd Class

No, it doesn't, at least not one at the console. I'm fairly new to the boat, (it was free) could there a kill switch somewhere else?

Thanks

superbenk

Commander

You check to make sure the 2 50 amp fuses are still good? You may have overloaded and popped one of them (thought that usually means no cranking).

grahamh

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I haven't check the fuses yet, but I kind of doubt it, the boat cranked fine, the bilge pump and blower worked fine, etc, but I'll definitely check it out.

proxyx

Banned

I haven't check the fuses yet, but I kind of doubt it, the boat cranked fine, the bilge pump and blower worked fine, etc, but I'll definitely check it out.

If it cranks fine start checking the ignition... voltage on the coil etc. Of course don't forget if the engine is getting fuel. Push on the lever to see if accelerator pump sprays the fuel. If yes then it's off to ignition. An impact can disconnect/dislodge some wires so that would be my first step.

grahamh

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks guys, I can't wait till morning to check it out.

'

grahamh

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for all the help, I figured it out today.

I guess when I hit whatever I did, the impact dislodged two small wires underneath the distributor rotor. I put them back and the motor started right up!

I'm glad it was an easy fix, once I realized I had spark at the coil, but no spark at the plugs, I knew that something in the distributor was wrong.

I learned an important lesson about taking tools with me, I normally have a set in the boat, but I'd taken them out and forgot to put them back in, if I'd had them with me it would have been an easy fix on the water. Oh well, lesson learned. My arms are still sore from the paddle.

madurodave

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks for all the help, I figured it out today.

I guess when I hit whatever I did, the impact dislodged two small wires underneath the distributor rotor. I put them back and the motor started right up!

I'm glad it was an easy fix, once I realized I had spark at the coil, but no spark at the plugs, I knew that something in the distributor was wrong.

I learned an important lesson about taking tools with me, I normally have a set in the boat, but I'd taken them out and forgot to put them back in, if I'd had them with me it would have been an easy fix on the water. Oh well, lesson learned. My arms are still sore from the paddle.

good news.

been there, done that:)