What to Buy..First Time Boat Owner..

palex1

Recruit
I need serious help to choose what to buy.<br />We are in South CA. Near to ocean and lot of lakes. <br />Like to buy small boat for fresh and sea family rides.<br />Like to have sleeping compartments for 2-3 people.<br />I'm ready to spend 1oK including trailer.<br />I had look into bayliner,maxum, searay etcc.<br />Looked also in Ebay,Boattrader.com.<br />My head will explode soon with all these infor. We like to fish,may be watre ski but general family joy.<br />I do not know which manuf. is good or bad or what year to look.<br />Buying a car look simple compare to this.<br />thanks to anyone for help.

Ralph 123

Captain
Re: What to Buy..First Time Boat Owner..

My advice is to get a copy of the classic book "getting started in power boating." The first several chapter help you select the boat that is right for you.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

hello<br /> after wating disaster after disaster with the new boat owners I would like to add this. get a good marine surveyor and go over the boat with him, preferably when the seller is not there. then get a competent marine technician that is certified in the power plant you have selected to look at it.if it is I/O remove the drive and have a look. nothing is worse then when I tell a first time boat buyer its blown up and they tell me it cannot be because they just bought it and it ran fine on the trailer. the marine survey will be one of the best investments you can make. good luck and keep reading :)

SeaHorse

Petty Officer 1st Class

Good luck. Most of the used boats in your area are junk and the people selling them are crooks. <br /><br />I think the reason the boats are junk is that they're used all year and in salt water, not only in the ocean but in that nasty hyper salty lake out there. <br /><br />The people are crooks because many years ago the United States got tilted with the East up and the Left Coast down and all the loose nuts and screws just fell down to the bottom (California) like a giant pachinko game. Don't believe me? Pick up your newspaper. Turn to the "Politics" section.<br /><br />I've done business with used outboards and parts all over the US and Canada and have only been royally screwed once. That was when a guy from Hawthorne sent me a salt corroded, junk motor that I put right in the trash. :( <br /><br />In your area I'd buy a new boat only. Take a look at the Bayliner 17.5 I think it's only 10K with trailer.

DBenja4148

Cadet

Can't go wrong w/ a Chaparral. Excellent boat. I bought one this spring (25 ft. cruiser) and after looking around for three years it was well worth the wait. If you buy used don't think twice about having it surveyed. Good luck

Bondo

Staff member

If it Doesn't say Bayliner, or OMC on it Anywhere.....<br />It's Worth a second look....

Snailman

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hi Pesnya,<br /><br />I don't know about Bayliners, Searays, Wellcraft or Boston Whalers.... They're probably all OK in one way or another....<br /><br />All I know is that I bought my first boat a couple of years ago. She's a 21' Wellcraft Cuddy Cabin. She's a fine boat but.....<br /><br />If I had it all to do over again I'd look at either a Center Console or a Walk-Around Cuddy.<br /><br />If you're looking for something that'll sleep 2-3 people then don't settle for anything less than a WALK-AROUND Cuddy. The cabin can be quite comfortable for 2-3 people but the added benefit of being able to walk out onto the forward deck without having to climb over the windshield is GREAT!<br /><br />Also look for a boat that's got a fairly flat forward deck. One that you can sit on without sliding off.<br /><br />Just my 2¢

Solittle

Fleet Admiral

Time for a reality check - - - - I doubt that you are going to find anything in even fair condition (which means you will be spending reasonable bucks right off) that will sleep 2-3 people for $10K. $20-30K maybe. You are talking 24-30'. <br /><br />As you look also consider the requirements for a trailer and a tow vehicle.

Ralph 123

Captain

Seahorse that was great! I laughed my butt off!<br /><br />pesnya - read the book - everybody's needs and wants are different. If you don't know much about power boating you don't even know what your options are. You'll need the rest of the book to figure out what to do with it once you but it anyway :D