recoil system

chiefcatchemall

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hey guys I just came back from camping and I busted my recoil system. I have a '69 sportwin 9.5. I need to replace the spring and the plastic cog for sure. I know nothing about it. I am going to buy an owners manual and do it myself. I need to get a flywheel puller though. I was wondering at how much money I am looking at if I did it myself. And any ideas how much it would cost me to take it somewhere to get it done? I am sick of taking the cover off and having to start it by wrapping rope around the flywheel. Thank you in advance. Andrew

samo_ott

Vice Admiral
Re: recoil system

I don't know the 9.5 very well but in no other model that I know of you'd have to pull the flywheel to fix the pull starter. Are you sure you need to do this on the 9.5?

bktheking

Vice Admiral

It doesn't need to be removed, pm me your email addy and I will email you screen shots from the manul.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

(Manual Starter Cord Installation)
(This pertains to the vertical type of Manual Starters such as the 9.5hp and later 6/8hp models etc)
(J. Reeves)

1 - Have a pair of vice grips handy set so that they will grab the top of the starter spindle tightly but will not damage it.

2 - Using a large screwdriver inserted into the top of the starter spindle, wind the starter in a counter clockwise direction 12 to 14 turns, stopping so that the cord locking slot is facing the away from the engine.

3 - Lock the spindle in that position with the vice grips, letting the vice grips lay against the flywheel.

4 - Insert the cord as needed and make sure it is retained properly at that slot.

5 - Feed the cord out the starter cord hole at the front of the engine and attach the handle.

6 - Grip the cord tightly so that the spindle cannot spin around rapidly, then release the vice grips.

7 - Allow the cord to be withdrawn slowly around the spindle.