Grease Impeller?

swick

Petty Officer 1st Class
I took the impeller out of my OB to inspect, looks like brand new so I put it back in. Not getting water from the tell so I am thinking the impeller should have been greased. What kind of grease is recommended?

Lion hunter

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Grease Impeller?

No grease it will plug the water passages. I figured that was the sensible thing to do the 1st impellar I ever changed. Not a good idea. If your wooried about lubrication at intial start up you could put a thin film of oil on the housing.

If it has a thermostat have you checked that?
Can you force water through with a hose?

Tubingluvr

Chief Petty Officer

What type of engine do you have?
i had this happen on my old volvo penta and it ended being the raw water filter

swick

Petty Officer 1st Class

its a 99 merc force 120 hp, 4cylinder 2 stroke. I did force water through with a hose when i had the L/U off. Came through fine, nice and strong. Not sure if theres a thermostat yet, its still a new OB to me. I'll check that next.

swick

Petty Officer 1st Class

I thought about grease plugging up the passages, I had read about people doing it though. I also read about one guy using dish soap, seems like a harmless idea.

Lion hunter

Lieutenant Commander

The thing is water is the only lubrication it gets throughout its life so it doesn't need any additional to work properly. I would post this question in the Merc forum. I am not familiar with your motor but I'm guessing there is a thermostat. Does the motor get hot? You should be able to hold your hand on the power head for 4-5 seconds.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

When you put it back together, did you reach up inside the mid-section to make sure that the water tube was connected and the seal was in place?

BTW: Dishwashing liquid is the best WP lube in town.

Fl_Richard

Lieutenant

I use dish soap during impeller assembly. It helps the impeller to slide into the cup and gives a bit of lube at initial startup.

swick

Petty Officer 1st Class

It's pouring out of the tell fine now, I just didn't run it long enough to get an water out. Maybe I'll try some ds next time I put a new impeller on, working fine now though.

jackangel

Seaman Apprentice

Have a 1942 sea bee 3 hp, same thing no water, getting hot so I pulled the prop and checked the impeller, yup full of grease (bad seal design, but thats a diff story) anyhoos, the passages and impeller were full of grease and everything was blocked up tight, cleaned the grease and all was well, so....

a very long winded way of saying, do not use grease:)

lovemywife

Seaman Apprentice

You can use a grease called "Jacks Grease" it is made for rubber gaskets, O-rings yada yada it works great and last for a long time. Like anything else just use enough to put a thin coat and it works just fine. It is sold atpool supply stores used in pool pumps

HappierWet

Master Chief Petty Officer

its a 99 merc force 120 hp, 4cylinder 2 stroke. I did force water through with a hose when i had the L/U off. Came through fine, nice and strong. Not sure if theres a thermostat yet, its still a new OB to me. I'll check that next.

Merc. Force....????
I thought they were two seperate manufacturers. Mercury is Mercury been around forever.....Force came out around the same time CHRYSLER stopped making outboards and I always thought of them as a kind of offbrand. Anybody else's input?

swick

Petty Officer 1st Class

Chrysler used to manufacture force, Mercury bought them out and made them for a few years, 1999 was the last year that they were manufactured but they were built much better than they had started by then.

force_logo_large_1_.gif

Cofe

Lieutenant Commander

Chrysler used to manufacture force, Mercury bought them out and made them for a few years, 1999 was the last year that they were manufactured but they were built much better than they had started by then.

force_logo_large_1_.gif

Just put in new evinrude impeller. The instructions in the kit said to use 30 weight motor oil. I like the soap idea too.

Moody Blue

Captain

Dishsoap, oil, grease, vaseline. Any of these options works without any ill effect on the motor. You don't blob it on, just a very light film is all that is needed and will not plug up any water passages.