Fuel Pump Issues

Cox

Seaman
I hate to be redundant, but I read something in another post about when you're motor is running out on the water, a pressure is created in your tank/lines that the fuel pump may not be able to overcome (if going bad).

Not sure, but that may explain my latest issues. My motor (1996 Evinrude25HP) starts fine and runs great. This past Sunday (and a few other times recently) we used the motor on a few different occasions to make longer runs (10 minutes or so) at WOT before spending some time fishing and using the trolling motor. We had no issues whatsoever. Towards the end of the day, probably like the 5th or 6th time that the O/B was used, it would run for about 30-45 seconds and then sputter out and die. Seemed like it was having problems getting fuel. The bulb wasn't collapsed, the tank was vented, the connections were seemingly fine.

Like I said, this has happened before and now it's driving me nuts:mad:. It's always after the motor has been running fine for a while. Any thoughts/suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner
Re: Fuel Pump Issues

Try pumping the bulb and see if it keeps running.
Let us all know.

Cox

Seaman

As the motor started to sputter, I pumped the bulb and the problem went away. I paid attention to the bulb and every now and then gave it a few squeezes and no additional troubles. Sounds like I either need a new fuel line/bulb or have issues with my fuel pump???

crxess

Chief Petty Officer

If the bulb and line are in good condition, i.e. no cracks/abrasions, my first thought would be Fuel Pump.