Volvo Penta 5.7 L won't go into gear

MiamiDolphins

Recruit
So I just got a '04 Volvo Penta 5.7 L GI-e with dual props and I was about to hit a sandbar yesterday and I turned away from it and pulled back hard on the throttle and cut the engine at the last second. I'm pretty sure I didn't run into it, maybe I did, it was close. I think the lowest I saw the depth finder was 5.2 feet but the boat did kind of kick up a little. The props already had a little damage from previous owner and it didn't look like I added to it or anything to the bottom of the lower unit.

It started back up but the props wouldn't spin.

Is the issue in the lower unit or could i have done something to the throttle linkage by pulling it back so hard?

Thanks for your help.

Do you want the make of boat? I was trying to avoid that because I owe someone $1000 still on it and they might freak if they knew what I did so I'm trying to avoid it come up on search engines. Long story that no one wants to hear.

It's a 19-24 foot bowrider if I can be that generic.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Re: Volvo Penta 5.7 L won't go into gear

Take off the back panel of the sterndrive and take a look to see if the linkage is operating when you shift.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I turned away from it and pulled back hard on the throttle

When you pulled it back hard, did you go to reverse? If you did, you probably broke the coupler between the upper and lower units. They used to be called "Drive Savers" on the older Volvo's but they are still a splined coupler with a groove in the center to make a weak spot. Hopefully that is all that went bad.

Gene70

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Remove rear cover. Check linkage on shift cable. Disconnect shift cable then take mechanical arm cotter key out. Then manually move the lever forward and reverse. See if the props turn. If they do not move then the coupling between upper and lower unit is stripped. Next step is to remove lower unit and check coupling. If it is stripped you have to replace it.