Johnson Seahorse gear change pin has snapped - help:)

brubaker19

Cadet
So i've just got a Johnson Seahorse 20 HP Outboard Motor. It is a 1971 long shaft model (model no. 20RL71S).

When it arrived by courier the gear change lever was snapped off - it looks like a metal tube that is hollow to take gear oil in some shape or some and the cylinder has sheared off [as you can see in the pictures].

I know nothing about outboards at all and don't even know what the part is called or how to repair it.

I suppose I have a few questions

How could it be repaired
Do I need a new one
Where on earth could you get a part like this for a 38 year old engine - the same age as me

Any help would be appreciated as I'm completely stuck,

yours

peterSTA60004.jpg

STA60002.jpg

Daviet

Fleet Admiral
Re: Johnson Seahorse gear change pin has snapped - help:)

If I am looking at the correct parts break down, that lever goes through exhaust housing and connects to shift linkage under power head. Remove power head and replace shaft. The part is available but expensive, about $70.00. There are some other parts needed also, gasket and o-rings. Get yourself a manual and do it yourself. Another thought, you might be able to find a used one cheaper.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

If I am looking at the correct parts break down, that lever goes through exhaust housing and connects to shift linkage under power head. Remove power head and replace shaft. The part is available but expensive, about $70.00. There are some other parts needed also, gasket and o-rings. Get yourself a manual and do it yourself. Another thought, you might be able to find a used one cheaper.

part number 379523 shift shaft $81.33
314221 powerhead gasket $3.33
303721 locking clip $1.71

All parts are available from any Evinrude dealer or on line directly from BRP http://shop.evinrude.com/

BTW, 38 isn't old for an outboard. At least not for a Johnson outboard.

MushCreek

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I think I'd watch ebay, or call some used outboard parts dealers before I ponied up $80+ for a shift handle. But then, I'm cheap!

brubaker19

Cadet

Thanks guys. I think it's dead in the water as the courier also managed to break the housing that holds the accelertor:( Duh parts and shipping alone over here in Northern Ireland) would be about $300!! That's before actually putting them on.

Peter

brubaker19

Cadet

Just to let you know I managed to source a Mariner 20hp which is performing beautifully - thanks for all the help here guys...