Will This Engine Work In My Boat?

sieg100

Cadet
I have a 79 lund 228 that I'll be replacing the engine in. I have ran across a 305 complete and running engine with everything on it (carb, manifolds, dist, even the Y pipe) that I think I can buy at a reasonable price.

However the engine was removed from a 1999 boat. Will this engine work in my 79 228? Will my drive work with this year engine? If it can be made to work, what would I have to change out?

jtybt

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Will This Engine Work In My Boat?

If by 228, you're refering to mercruiser 5.0(305), the rear main seal are different requiring a change of flywheel and coupler as you probably have the donut type. The engine harness is different, too. Has to do with the plug-in not matching up but can be 'fixed'. Do you get the engine harness with the ignition system with it...and what ignition and fuel set-up is on the new motor.

sieg100

Cadet

If by 228, you're refering to mercruiser 5.0(305), the rear main seal are different requiring a change of flywheel and coupler as you probably have the donut type.

My old flywheel and coupler from my old 79 305 will bolt on ok won't they? Yes I do have the donut type currently.

The engine harness is different, too. Has to do with the plug-in not matching up but can be 'fixed'. Do you get the engine harness with the ignition system with it...and what ignition and fuel set-up is on the new motor.

I do get the engine harness with it.

The ignition is a point system on the new engine. Its a mechanical fuel pump also. Hes also including the alt, PS pump and mounting brackets for these parts. He just unplugged it, disconnected the Y pipe at the transom and pulled it out intact.

sieg100

Cadet

Does the boat have a outboard on it now? :D

Can't tell you what to replace your engine with if we don't know what is there now.

LOL....Yes. Its equipped with a Mercruiser 305 now.

Bondo

Staff member

The ignition is a point system on the new engine. Its a mechanical fuel pump also.

Ayuh,... That's Not a 1999 Motor...

Until you can identify the Vintage of the motor, it's hard to guess the fitment issues you're going to have...

gadget73

Petty Officer 1st Class

I don't think Merc has used points since at least the early 80s on the smallblock V8. Not sure when the transition was, but I've worked on stuff from about 1985 that had electronic. I know my 1993 engines are electronic. Also, every one of the newer (say 96+) motors I've seen has run an electric fuel pump, not mechanical. I think the electric pump came about the same time the Vortech heads arrived, sometime in the mid 90s.

jtybt

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Yeah, really hard to tell what year the motor actually is. Look at the rear main seal...or see if you donut has the same bolt pattern of the new motor. I think it was '86 that the first one piece rear main seal came out. That's not to say a newer year engine couldn't be converted to point type distributor ignition.

A little history as best as I can recall.

1956 chevy block is identical up to 1979/80. 1981-1985 changed the dipstick to the starboard side. '86 to about 95 had the one piece rear main. '96 started the vortec in trucks...but I get lost after '85.

You can tell the approx age of the engine wiring harness if it will plug into your harness plug-in. They changed about the time they went electronic ignition.

proxyx

Banned

Look at the transom, outdrive type and engine mounts, the rest like fuel pump is secondary and unimportant. Get full info on the new engine as there seems to be some confusion what it is. Check if similar displacement/maker was ever used by Lund and get boat info from the manuf. Some boats came with several diff. engines. If you get your boat specs it will be easy to determine whether it's a fit. Ask Lund directly, why not?

Bondo

Staff member

Check if similar displacement/maker was ever used by Lund and get boat info from the manuf. Some boats came with several diff. engines. If you get your boat specs it will be easy to determine whether it's a fit. Ask Lund directly, why not?
79 lund 228

Ayuh,... Call Lund,..?? For What,..??
We already Know it's a 228hp/ Mod.1 Mercruiser......aka. 305 Chevy, Pre-Alpha drive....

The open Question at this point is,... What Vintage is the Replacement motor.?.?.?.
'cause it sure Ain't a 1999....

sieg100

Cadet

Ayuh,... Call Lund,..?? For What,..??
We already Know it's a 228hp/ Mod.1 Mercruiser......aka. 305 Chevy, Pre-Alpha drive....

The open Question at this point is,... What Vintage is the Replacement motor.?.?.?.
'cause it sure Ain't a 1999....

Doesn't matter much anymore. The price went higher than I'm willing to pay for a used engine even if it is complete. Especially since he says its out of a 99 model but apparently is isn't. I'd be afraid to trust it.

However, thanks for all the input. Not planning on dropping a new engine in until spring so I can keep my eyes open for a boat on craigs list that has a running engine but other issues. Then just buy the boat, strip the parts I need, sell the trailer.

Found one on craigs list that was the wrong engine and drive, but I've seen similar ones to mine before for not much more. This is a 165 that was usuable until he busted the lower drive casing a month ago. 500 bucks for something like that. Was considering it anyway because its an easy fix but 1 project at a time is enough...LOL. I'll bet I can find some deals close enough to drive and get over the next few months. This thread did open up the year ranges that I can consider so it will help a lot.

sieg100

Cadet

You can tell the approx age of the engine wiring harness if it will plug into your harness plug-in. They changed about the time they went electronic ignition.

This is good to know. So if I run across another boat with a 305 or a 350 mercruiser that uses points or at least originally was equipped with points, then my old harness plug-in should just plug right in?

Then the most I might have to change out would be the flywheel and the coupler?

Bondo

Staff member

Not planning on dropping a new engine in until spring so I can keep my eyes open for a boat on craigs list that has a running engine but other issues.

Ayuh,.... The Poorman's Redneck way outta this is buy a Chevy pickup truck, 1986 or Older,...
With a Strong runnin' Motor of course,...
Pull the motor, Junk the truck,+ swap all the peripherals from the 305 onto your new used 350,....
And Go Boatin'...;)

sieg100

Cadet

Pull the motor, Junk the truck,+ swap all the peripherals from the 305 onto your new used 350,....
And Go Boatin'...;)

LOL. I've considered this but my old manifolds are not the best and at 700-800 for new manifolds (have the log style and would like to convert to center rise), plus all the additional parts that I would have as spares and a possible good spare drive, I'm much better off buying a boat with structure issues. I've seen those before running anywhere from 400 to 800 bucks. With winter coming on, I'll bet there will be some deals....:D

Bondo

Staff member

With winter coming on, I'll bet there will be some deals....

Ayuh,... Agreed... ;)