8hp Merc Issues-Dealer Not Useful-Need Help

Jaymtl

Recruit
Hopefully someone on here can advise me what to do as the dealer has seen my 1988 8hp Merc way too many times and each time no luck.

This is what happened; Engine has run flawlessly for years now. Second pull starts, smooth idle, powerful, smooth wide open throttle.
Had it out on the water wide open for about 2 hours then I heard a clunk and she died. Would not catch at all. Went into the dealer, dealer said really bad gas(gas was new that morning) and the plug actually cracked. Plugs replaced and made a carb adjustment. Checked compression; both cylinders read at 120.

Back on the boat with fresh fuel again, this time would not even start period. And was stuck in reverse. Back to dealer.

Dealer says he replaced thermostat as previous owner must have took it out and made adjustment to shift arm under the cowl as the shift wheels with the teeth were missing one another. Made perfect sense-that was an easy fix.
Back on the water. Now starts after 10 pulls, idles low no matter what the choke setting and very rough, when finally on the water I am missing all top end power. I have only half the power, it wants to 'go' for one second bursts randomly but quickly goes back to half the throttle.

Anyone got any clues? Carb rebuild? Anything? Thanks!

Laddies

Banned
Re: 8hp Merc Issues-Dealer Not Useful-Need Help

Yes, the carb and fuel pump need cleaning or at least adjustment by a competent mechanic. When cleaning the fuel system don't forget the tank and to flush the hose or it may come back and haunt you.